Let's Talk Crop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
    "Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships!" - Ansel Adams

I think cropping might be just fine.
    Post Processing? Just fine as well.
    I confuse people all the time by interchanging those two terms -- technically, when I say PP I'm including cropping....

and I agree, there's nothing wrong with either.

Russell actually judged and critiqued one of the photo contests a couple of years ago....

Here's the link to that thread.

Last edited by Atfulldraw; 02-15-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Great Link, Rod.

Cropping, huh?
      I find that I did a lot more cropping in the beginning of this DSLR world, now I shoot more to fill the frame, and I notice a lot more now than in the beginning, that I am looking around the frame more when I am composing a shot; instead of just focusing on the subject.

Not too high on my horse though, I do crop, just simply not as much or as often as I did.

Great thread topic, I hope to see more of these in the future. Great info from all.

(eek, I need to print some pictures, I still never have!! ::*******:

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
        Great Link, Rod.

Cropping, huh?
        I find that I did a lot more cropping in the beginning of this DSLR world, now I shoot more to fill the frame, and I notice a lot more now than in the beginning, that I am looking around the frame more when I am composing a shot; instead of just focusing on the subject.

Not too high on my horse though, I do crop, just simply not as much or as often as I did.

Great thread topic, I hope to see more of these in the future. Great info from all.

(eek, I need to print some pictures, I still never have!! ::*******:
        When I'm shooting for a 'shoot' I always compose (though I always give myself a bit of crop edging, if for no other reason than to get good frame wrap for canvas print), but when I'm shooting from my kayak, or doing 'on-the-draw' nature photography, there simply isn't time to in most instances. I'll typically frame an area, get good composure of the natural elements, then see what appears. Sometimes I get lucky. Sometimes I get a great shot ruined by the action I was looking for because the scale is all wrong; other times I get a shot that's composed well, but otherwise boring since there's no action.

Out of curiosity, have you all popped over to my photobucket pages?

Comment

I haven't, send the link.
          I mostly surf Flickr

Comment

Not all the photos are 'artistic', and most of my best ones are from the kayak (it's truly where I love to be and shoot). Thought I had the link on my profile, but I don't. I'll have to fix that. Anyway...

My PhotoBucket Page

Comment

Originally posted by MC70 View Post
              Not all the photos are 'artistic', and most of my best ones are from the kayak (it's truly where I love to be and shoot). Thought I had the link on my profile, but I don't. I'll have to fix that. Anyway...

My PhotoBucket Page
              I don't see any pics in your Photobucket

Comment

I don't see any pics in your Photobucket
                You have to select an album; look on the left side and you'll see a list of my albums there.

Comment

No Luck for some reason. I may be having a senior moment!
                  I found the albums and wanted to check out the kayak stuff but I can't get anything to show.

Comment

No Luck for some reason. I may be having a senior moment!
                    I found the albums and wanted to check out the kayak stuff but I can't get anything to show.
                    Let me know if you aren't seeing something similar to this:

Comment

Ah ha! If you click on 'contact info' after clicking on my ID, you'll see the link to my photobucket page (in addition to some other contact info).

Comment

Actually, I don't crop much at all. In fact I rarely crop images as I try to get it as close as I can in the camera. Guys who have been with me (like Shane) can attest to this.

As far as post-processing, I don't do a lot - even in the Pre-Christmas Duck Hunt set I posted.

"...I'd guess exactly none of the images in the pre-christmas duck hunt photos escaped heavy post-processing."

It depends on what you call heavy post-processing as I rarely use Photoshop. On these images, (http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...=pre-christmas) while the color is tweaked, it is just a one-click tweak I did by using the Lightroom Develop module pre-sets. It took all of about six seconds to achieve the look.

Post-processing - yes. But when you shoot in RAW you always have to post-process.

Heavy post-processing? No. I am simply not smart enough nor do I have the patience to spend much time behind a computer.

Ultimately, my take is that I paid a lot of money for the pixels in my cameras so I try and use all of the pixels I can without having to crop them and through them away.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                        X