2016 San Angelo area season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a pretty good thread in 2015 so I figured with turkey season coming up and deer feeding season upon us we might as well get it fired back up for 2016.

Humper and I just got back from Christoval filling protein, alfalfa and corn feeders as well as upgrading the capacity of our water stations at 4 feedpens to 550 gallons each. Filling up 8 totes can take some time with the fillup off spigot taking 40 minutes per, but the HF dumps them in 2.5 minutes so its makes up for it. The 40 minutes does allow up to get some camp stuff doen while we wait but I wish we could make that part faster. Also added a few new higher capacity alfalfa feeders to our favorite pens and took the 55 gallon ones at those and added it to other to double their capacity.

It was a work filled weekend for 2.5 days, but it was nice to get it all done. Temps were in the low 80s but early am and later PM were nice! Place is greening up nice with the couple of inches of rain. Heard we got 1" with Monday with more coming yesterday and today. We are starting off nicely.

New hay feeders with a full three strand capacity.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0000alfala0.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	25082284

Name:	000alfala0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	25082291

Moved these and put them together to double the capacity of our other pens.

Name:	00alfala2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	25082286

Name:	00alfala1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	25082293

2 of the 4 new double tote setups with Humper running the hose!

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	25082285

Name:	00 Seismic water.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	25082287

Oh yeah...we saved some turkey eggs and protein/corn as well with 9 caught in one night. Adding 15 traps to our current 14 and gonna try to carpet bomb them every trip down.

Name:	IMG_0791.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	25082288

Name:	IMG_0786.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	25082289

Name:	IMG_0787.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	25082290

Here's to a great season fellas! Good luck to yall chasing Tommy and friends ..
    Last edited by Smart; 03-09-2016, 02:40 PM.

We are building a bar at our lease.

Comment

Rain on and off all day today so far. I'm still getting very few pics of my deer actually eating protein or alfalfa just passing by to the water. Green stuff is saving me some money and the bodies look good again from post rut conditions

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
        Rain on and off all day today so far. I'm still getting very few pics of my deer actually eating protein or alfalfa just passing by to the water. Green stuff is saving me some money and the bodies look good again from post rut conditions

That'`s what I like to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          That'`s what I like to hear.
          Only thing that sucks about it is it will be hard to find the sheds from the target deer I didn't get a chance at. Curious on what some really scored

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
            Only thing that sucks about it is it will be hard to find the sheds from the target deer I didn't get a chance at. Curious on what some really scored
            That's a good problem to have

Comment

Landowner just texted me that we got another half inch yesterday. I'll take all we can this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd-ty729 View Post
                That's a good problem to have
                Agreed I won't complain about having to walk and look.
                Landowner just texted me that we got another half inch yesterday. I'll take all we can this time of year.
                Hopefully tomorrow and Friday are good as well

Comment

Good deal. It's been raining off and on in Angelo today.

I Agee, on the timing!!! Sure like seeing rain during this time of year.

Haven't heard what we got at the lease yet.

Comment

Rain is a good thing!!

Comment

Keep that rain a comin!

Comment

Rancher said we got 1.7" as of yesterday. Then it rained all night and wasn't checked again
                        Last edited by Killem all; 03-09-2016, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Landowner said we had a 3.5" total on the place for this past week's rain event! Great start added to a couple of 1/2" rains earlier in the year. Place should be greening up real nice soon....

Comment

Landowner said we had a 3.5" total on the place for this past week's rain event! Great start added to a couple of 1/2" rains earlier in the year. Place should be greening up real nice soon....
                            Soon? It's been green all winter now its REAL nice. Saving money on protein, sheds are dropping, and deer are already fat and healthy again. Couple more timely rains and it could be a great year.

Comment

Our place has been pretty dang brown since Dec. Rain this month greened us up a little ....

We must be in the ghetto and not uptown like the Phillips[emoji12]...
                              Last edited by Smart; 03-15-2016, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X