Fly rod for a 10 year old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
    This does my heart good! That had to have been a fight on the 3 wt.

Wish I had video! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This has officially become my favorite thread on TBH, ever.

J

Comment

Whoa!!!! what a catch!

Like others have said, A 7'-9' 3-5wt is a good rod for that age. I bought my 9 year old a $75 combo from Cabelas that was a 9' 5 wt and it served him well. I now fish a 4wt 7.5' bass pro combo (about $150) as my go to rod and it serves me well for just about anything here in Texas ponds/streams.

As I was scrolling through the thread, I was going to offer up tying him some warm water flies that I have done for some other TBHers... but I'm gonna assume that "small package" already took care of that need?

Lemme know.

(Good Stuff Burnadell!)

Comment

Congrats to your son on the cool catch, and Burnadell is good people, just has the Old Fart persona to throw people off a little to his real nature.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
            Whoa!!!! what a catch!

Like others have said, A 7'-9' 3-5wt is a good rod for that age. I bought my 9 year old a $75 combo from Cabelas that was a 9' 5 wt and it served him well. I now fish a 4wt 7.5' bass pro combo (about $150) as my go to rod and it serves me well for just about anything here in Texas ponds/streams.

As I was scrolling through the thread, I was going to offer up tying him some warm water flies that I have done for some other TBHers... but I'm gonna assume that "small package" already took care of that need?

Lemme know.

(Good Stuff Burnadell!)

Thanks!

Comment

I started with a 7wt Shakespeare I bought at Gatling Auto Parts. Did they have those here in Texas? It was an auto parts store that also sold some sporting goods. They were all over SW PA in the 80's. I don't even know what fly line was on it. I caught a lot of SW PA trout with that $15 flyrod/reel using 4wt fishing line for a leader and tippet lol. I now have a Cabela's Wind River 3wt 7'6" rod and I love it. But before moving here I was fishing tight Laurel Mountain streams for native brookies. If you were closer I'd say bring your son over and let him try it and practice casting in the yard.
              Last edited by stickbowcoop; 08-07-2018, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                Whoa!!!! what a catch!

Lemme know.

(Good Stuff Burnadell!)

Received a nice package from Hopedale yesterday. Thank you for the offer!

Comment

Working...
                X