Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #51
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReydonPete View Post
If he wasnít related to you would you have already replaced him ?
It should not be your responsibility to make him show up for work, if he not reliable I think that reflects badly on your company
The customer is relying on you to complete the job in a time frame and quality of work that is acceptable to them
If a customer is unhappy with the project not getting completed in time I would think they give anyone asking about your company a less than good recommendation, or even recommend they use another company
Overall is he good for you business or not ?
As others have said family and business is difficult to mix and have a great outcome

The only good thing is this job doesnít have a deadline. Customer is wanting me to work it in when I can but I hate dragging out any job regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #52
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
The only good thing is this job doesnít have a deadline. Customer is wanting me to work it in when I can but I hate dragging out any job regardless.

I think you missed the point.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #53
ReydonPete
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ok,Tx

Your definitely in a tough spot
Is this the only job you’ve had issues with him on ?

If you don’t want to replace him, you probably gonna have to learn to live with his behavior
ReydonPete is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #54
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
Yeah itís the anxiety mixed with his choices of coping with anxiety that are the problem.... the coping mechanism is what causes him to miss work....

I would hate for my business to be dependent on a guy with those demons, family or not. By carrying the work load for him, you're partially enabling his poor choices. It's not likely to get better as long as that happens, and that sucks all the way around.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #55
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReydonPete View Post
Your definitely in a tough spot
Is this the only job youíve had issues with him on ?

If you donít want to replace him, you probably gonna have to learn to live with his behavior

Yes this is the only job. And I have another guy that has a crew and is the best carpenter Iíve ever seen. He truly is an artist. And I donít make that comment lightly. Itís where this guy learned what he knows.

However, the other guy stays busy which is fine, but he doesnít really do small jobs. He is the guy I would use on the big remodel Iím bidding.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #56
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
I think you missed the point.

I didnít miss the point. I caught what you are saying which is why I now know I canít use him on big jobs with hard deadlines. I have another guy that will take on anything I have as long as itís a bigger job. The customer will have to wait to get started because he stays busy and usually has 3-4 jobs lined up at a time.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #57
cowman
Four Point

sounds like your family member has the upper hand in this "business" relationship. he seems to be more valuable to you than you are to him. you've been given the right advice here. time to be a businessman and make a choice.
cowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #58
bownutone
Eight Point

Hunt In: Scrappin Valley

I would not fire him but would hire another framer (or helper if you have to do it yourself) to help get caught up. If and when he shows up to work and you don't have anything for him he may figure it out.
bownutone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #59
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bownutone View Post
I would not fire him but would hire another framer (or helper if you have to do it yourself) to help get caught up. If and when he shows up to work and you don't have anything for him he may figure it out.

Definitely doing this regardless of the overall outcome

Old 07-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #60
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Because he has stress and anxiety and certain demons that I choose not to say.... he’s struggled his entire life with it.

Sounds like you need to find someone more reliable. And you also need to stop being an enabler. Quit making excuses for him. You say he is good at what he does, but do you think he is the only out there that can complete the jobs? Surely not. Quit making an excuse of all of his demons. Everybody has them. Everybody has something that they are struggling with in life. That does not mean we get to skip work and make those demons and excuses hold more control over our lives. You are giving him reasons and allowing the behavior to continue. If he is 45, it is time that he grows up.

Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 07-17-2018 at 03:42 PM.
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #61
Buckshot4900
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas/Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
Sounds like you need to find someone more reliable. And you also need to stop being an enabler. Quit making excuses for him. You say he is good at what he does, but do you think he is the only out there that can complete the jobs? Surely not. Quit making an excuse of all of his demons. Everybody has them. Everybody has something that they are struggling with in life. That does not mean we get to skip work and make those demons and excuses hold more control over our lives. You are giving him reasons and allowing the behavior to continue he. If he is 45, it is time that he grows up.

Exactly what I was about to type when I saw your response.
Fire him and donít look back, when he decides to grow up and assume responsibility he may make someone a good hand. Until then, let him figure out how to deal with life and move on as to keep your business growing.
And, yes, Iím qualified to make that statement as Iíve been in the construction business for 46 years.

Buckshot4900 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #62
the marshall
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tex-ok-la

stop paying him every friday
the marshall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #63
bpa556
Eight Point

Hunt In: Terrell County

This needs to be a business decision, without consideration for the family aspect.

He is a good carpenter/framer. He is a slow carpenter/framer when he bothers to show up for work. He doesnít show up for work reliably.

You need to hire a reliable carpenter/framer.

To speak to the complicating issue...family. It sounds like you have multiple jobs going at once. Pay him day wages when he decides to show up.

Iím sorry heís put you in this position, but if your business feeds your kids, business comes first.

bpa556 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #64
Jcjohnson
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burke, Thompson, Lincolnton

To be honest this is a simple problem to solve. He needs to go. Massive mistake putting your eggs in his basket while he flyís the coop. Not the time to post here about what to do. Time to review some resumeís. The more you try to search for an answer with him the farther behind your gonna get. Construction is a dog eat dog world, and your fixing to be lunch relying on him. not trying to sound like a jerk I know this would be an easy decision if it werenít family, as others have said ... not a good idea. But itís past time to move on. Hope every thing turns out good for the both of yíall.
Jcjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 06:26 PM   #65
Smithwr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon TX

keep a 10% retainer on every job. Tell him your paying hush money to the next client until he gets in gear
Smithwr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #66
Swampa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Pay him when the job is finished. Voila!

Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top