Boat selection/Lake Houston - Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat selection/Lake Houston - Help

I am looking to buy a used boat ($10K max.). Something I can fish out of and something I can use to pull the kids on either skiing or in a tube (3 boys). I probably need something about 20' long. I think I want an aluminum boat, maybe even a bass boat.
    But I guess my main question is, what kind of lake is Lake Houston ( I live in Kingwood)? I have heard it is shallow and full of stumps ( main reason to get an aluminum boat), not a good skiing lake and not a great fishing lake. Anyone here have much experience on this lake?

I would greatly appreciate input on the lake, where to go on it and suggestions on a boat/motor ( and maybe motors to stay away from)
    Thanks,

Joe

Check out an Express alum. They are great boats. Can't help you with the lake.

Comment

There's places where you better know where to run. Off the channel going up the west fork was fun at one time. First time I ran it, it looked open. I ended up with a Skeeter stuck up on the flat. That was about 20 years ago. There are some creeks that were basicly silted in with good fishing if you had a boat that could get up and go over the shallows without getting stuck. Like any lake, it has its own personality and once you figure it out, it's a nice, close lake to fish.

Comment

Lake Houston is not all that bad. There are some really good places to ski (skier's cove for example) and some good fishing. My FIL caught his personal best bass (8 lbs) on Lake Houston. There is some really good catfishing here, and crappie are great in the springtime.

On the boat, I prefer a fiberglass boat just because of the ride. Center consoles are great boats, and are suitable for family outings and fishing trips. There are many good models to choose from and some good used ones available.

good luck,
        skooter

Comment

I would take a look at a center console as well. Back in the day, we would load up the 20ft Bayhawk with anywhere from 4-8 people and hit it(ski, tube, hydroslide, wake board). When our lake has water, I still take my Gulf Coast out there. Easy to get in and of for water fun and still a fishing boat. You can get on 2coolfishing.com and look at their classifieds. There are lots of center consoles for sale. May be able to find what you are looking for. I would also stay away from an aluminum boat.

Comment

I live on Lake Houston and don't think it is too bad. I would just watch out for "floaters", logs and debri. It seems to be really bad after a thunderstorm or windy day.

Comment

Originally posted by coach2 View Post
              I live on Lake Houston and don't think it is too bad. I would just watch out for "floaters", logs and debri. It seems to be really bad after a thunderstorm or windy day.
              Same here! Just like any other lake you have to learn it. It is MUCH better than when I moved here 13 years ago. The last 4-5 years they have been keeping the levels up. Check with Skeeter on here as he has a AWESOME "Skeeter" bass boat for sale. Oh, I launched my fiberglass bass boat from our subdivision for about 5 years and never had any issues once I got the lake figured out.

Comment

Lake Houston is full of shallows.
                I live almost on the lake. It has some real nice spots people tube and stuff. I would go with center console for sure.
                Also when you get out in the lake with your new found toy, I would travel the lake to get a feel for it. Don't expect to just go and haul tail through.

Comment

if you live in kingwood and want to ski or tube, put in at river grove park at the end of woodland hills.. big park for kingwood residence we always put in there when i was big into wakeboarding.. alot of people ski that part of the river cause its smoother than the lake..

Comment

Working...
                  X