Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom Green Thunderchicken double..

On the board!

What a freaking morning! Buddy Nick and I set out to our favorite turkey areas to bowhunt some Tom Green Toms this morning. We set my popup up on a good flat I’ve had success in previously and we re-brushed a natural blind we built for him.

I was lucky enough to get my number 1 target. A big Tom with a paintbrush beard and good spurs according to my Covert. Nick killed a heckuva bird too.

Mine was the classic turkey hunt you want it to be. Heard gobbling a long ways off around 7:30..... Two birds actually but one wanted to play a little more after the first 3-4 sets of double gobbles. Walked him in with Halloran Twisted Sister. He’d answer every time I yelped. I stopped to try not to over call but he kept gobbling as if he wanted me to keep at it in these windy *** conditions to help him locate me. . So I’d do it when he did multiple gobbles. He’d return it then be quiet. Then he’d rip off 2-3 gobbles and I’d reply. He’d hit me back immediately. He kept getting closer and closer and I finally stopped when I felt he was close enough. He eventually popped out of the brush line and caught an eyeful of my Jake trying to live in his girlfriend..[emoji23]. Dead sprint to my Jake for about 50 yards and blew up. He stayed on the frontside face to face and kicked his *** a few times but wouldn’t clear the decoy. One of those times he spun my Jake around and the tail hit him in the *** and made him jump back. That was all the clearance I needed. I drew when he put his fan to me and let it fly when he turned broadside!. The SlickTrick hit its mark and did its job. Man!! I forgot what a **** rush with a bow this was after laying off for awhile...

Som *****!

So a continuance.. I walked my bird down about 100 yards to my turkey tree I take all my hanging pics with my dead turkeys in the area and proceeded to take some pics. Milled around and tried to find some good signal to tell folks the good news with very spotty luck. Said screw it. I’ll just go sit in the popup and wait for my ride to come. ... I was walking back and rounded the corner to a thump thump thump... I eased around the corner and the long bearded mofo we’d seen on camera is kicking my jakes *** again!! This is turkey #2 on my list so I’ll I pulled out my camera and videoed 4-5 minutes of it in wind *** conditions looking into the sun. I got what I could but the ole arms got tired holding up the camera lol. So since Bownanza I’ve been riding a lot as well as eating much better so my now slightly more mobile *** decides to walk around the big oak mott to try to put a spot and stalk on him. I know I know. I’m laughing too. Black shirt, khaki shorts, white legs and wide ***. The spotnstalk “do not do this” example as seen in the manual.. [emoji23][emoji23]but I figured with it as windy as it was, with his attention on the Jake and with all the trees moving, I might stand a chance. So the stalk was on around the big oak stand. I made it within about 30 yards surprisingly without much trouble but did not have a clear shot. I need to clear a cedar being right handed. I waited for his fan to face me and tried to move out. He turned around and hit the Jake a few times, I drew and needed him to clear the deke. I’m guessing he saw a flash in my glasses because he putted and hauled *** before he cleared. So ****** but **** that was fun. Maybe he’ll be back tomorrow[emoji41]

Nick’s hunt was very similar to mine to hear him tell the story. Saw two Toms working the opposite edge of the field, called a few times and pulled one away. 130-140 yards that turkey worked to him straight to his Jake where he commenced to whoop up on his deek. Same thing as me..... Cleared the deke and the arrows ran through him.

Both birds were super birds. Mines body was huge but I didn’t get a weight. They both had 10” beards on the nose.. mine was fuller but his was consistently longer. Spurs were.. well I’ll let the pics tell the story.[emoji23]

My bird in my turkey tree

The beards... nick left mine right

My best spur..

Nicks best

Last edited by Smart; 03-31-2018, 12:44 PM.

Congrats on some great birds

Comment

[emoji1303]

Nice job buddy!

Save me some!!!

Comment

I’ve got some great video footage of that second bird on my Jake. I need to upload it to YouTube and I’ll post it.

Comment

Congrats to you both.

Comment

Nice job guys! Keep up the healthy life changes Smart! Maybe next year you can run up and catch one. Good luck tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome birds fellas.....congrats again!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice birds congratulations

Comment

HECK YEAH, CONGRATS! Wish I was hunting this weekend, maybe next.

Comment

Nicely done! I still have two stinkin weeks of waiting for our season.

Comment

Escellent

Comment

That is awesome. Congrats

Comment

Congrats on the nice Toms!!

Comment

freakin sweet

Comment

Working...
                              X