New and Old knife making questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New and Old knife making questions!

Seems like every day there are brothers making their first knife and ask some very important questions. If you’ve ever been on my website you’ll see a statement that is the most important aspect of my knife making. “Heat treating is the heart of the knife, and the design is its soul. Once you fully understand this concept, then you will want to own a truly good knife.”

I’ve attached a link below to download a metallurgy free E Book; the most overlooked subject by many knife makers including long time knife makers that sell knives without having a clue what is actually going on inside the steel they are selling. The study of Metallurgy to knife making is as essential as a practicing doctor to have the required credentials to practice medicine.

Lately I’ve been seeing post on various metals and comments about Youtube instructional videos. I cringe at some of the CRAP I see Idiots post on Youtube; it makes me seriously mad that they THINK they know how to. They only know what they have been taught and 99% of the time they have been taught WRONG! A knife that has not been heat treated and tempered correctly is as good to use for a knife as a lid off a can of cat food! If you want to start making knives I encourage you to spend some time reading this excellent material. There are enough shade tree knife makers out there; if you want to start making knives why not it do correctly.

Most of the times we as knife makers want to put the cart before the horse and do it now; we want to take short cuts and by passing proper steps to insure the most optimum blade possible, I’m guilty of this myself. This is an E Book is just good starting point to help you further investigate the endeavor that many of us hold dear. I’m just offering my two cents; take it for what it’s worth.
    I’ve helped and answered a lot of questions over the years to new knife makers; but this E Book is the most import information I can share.. and it’s free.
    There is so much more to heat treating than rosebud heating to nonmagnetic and dunking in oil!

It’s wealth of information if you are serious about wanting to practice the art of knife making I encourage you to download it and read it as much as possible.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Yeah Bob most think pearlite is a diet beer!! LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chopsknives View Post
        Lol!

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Im a super green horn that is just getting into knife making, and admittedly YouTube has pretty much been my source of learning.

Any other books or information sources that you can recommend in addition to what you shared?

Comment

appreciate you looking out for us beginners.

Comment

thanx for the info

Comment

You're all welcome; that's what it's all about sharing information and getting on the right track. I think all of us learn something new everyday.

Comment

Your showing your age brother; most of the young one don't know what Pearl Beer was. I think it went out with Falstaff, Schlitz, Jax .. Now I'm showing my age. I grew up in San Antonio and there was a big Pearl Beer brewery just off I-35 and Lerado st.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
                    Your showing your age brother; most of the young one don't know what Pearl Beer was. I think it went out with Falstaff, Schlitz, Jax .. Now I'm showing my age. I grew up in San Antonio and there was a big Pearl Beer brewery just off I-35 and Lerado st.
                    Yeah I remember goin to the Lone Star Brewery's Horn collection - wonder if it's still there! I was born down there at Medina lake! Lost my first tooth at Octoberfest in New Braunfels - A lady got in the bounce house with high heels on, did a flip and kicked me right in the kisser!!! The beer mugs were purdy big back then!!!

Comment

Yeah I remember goin to the Lone Star Brewery's Horn collection - wonder if it's still there! I was born down there at Medina lake! Lost my first tooth at Octoberfest in New Braunfels - A lady got in the bounce house with high heels on, did a flip and kicked me right in the kisser!!! The beer mugs were purdy big back then!!!
                      I think it's still there; it was the last time I wen through there. Lake Medina is where I shot a rifle for the first time. Love those Ocotoberfest; now we can get REAL German beer.

BTW I do drink beer from time to time but it's never American; right now I'm enjoying a nice cold Stella Atrois.

Comment

If you can't wade through Verhoeven, try Kevin Cashen's website, http://www.cashenblades.com/info.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bjankowski View Post
                          I was a Pearl drinker for over 16 years and loved the taste of it . It had a distinct taste that you either loved or hated . A brother in law who worked for Miller finally got me converted but I never loved the taste like I did Pearl . Wish I could get some now ................ oh wait , we were taking about pearlite weren't we ? Sometimes I digress !

Comment

Glad I know about the knife makers on here so I don't have to learn all the technical stuff I've got some of those Oktoberfest beer mugs from the 80's. We were always told what great collectors items they would be. I've never found anybody but me that collected them

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                              If you can't wade through Verhoeven, try Kevin Cashen's website, http://www.cashenblades.com/info.html
                              Right Jason that is a lot to wade through especially if you're just getting started. Best thing to do is print it all off and put in a binder; makes for some good reading and digest bits and pieces at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X