New project, Knife sheaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New project, Knife sheaths

Picked up a new way to spend some time, leather work. Started with knife sheaths. I've always looked at making some knives, since I've done a lot of finish woodwork, and a little metal work I thought I'd better look into leather.

Purchased a minimal amount of supplies last week and put the below together. The pics probably look better than the actual product, but other than the lite tan Buck 100 case they are all sturdy.

1st pic, my Buck 110 in a high-ride left side sheath. I made the mistake of getting contact cement where I shouldn't- it's on the back. Second is a sheath for a cheap Chinese Buck, I didn't like the canvas case and the knife is actually a decent knife.

2nd pic, same knives as first.

3rd and 4th pic, my second 110 case, couple of mistakes, but I wanted to see a natural color- make sure all the sewing is complete before gluing it up. The other is a used chicken processing knife (Canton trade days) that will be in our travel trailer, the case will keep it from stabbing us when we reach into the drawer.

Some thanks are due to Jermdog01, knifemaker on TBH. I was able to pick his experiance on a few things, see what he does and admire his blades.
    Attached Files

nice work.most knife makers I know hate making sheaths,including me

Comment

Those are pretty nice.

Myself, I don't mind stamping them, but I sure hate stitching them.

Comment

I bought a basketweave stamp yesterday, that will be todays tinkering.

The stiching wasn't too bad- except where I goofed it up.

Comment

sheaths

A few more.

First pic is a Buck 110 cut, stamped and ready to sew. Second is the Buck ready, and my next victum- a Case Trapper (I think).

The stamping, pain in the rear. As I was stamping I kept noticing my mistakes and thought it was going to look like poo, once finished and stained- nothing.

Third pic is the Buck 110 finished. Spoken for, plus another one I'm giving to my hunting partner.
          Attached Files

Comment

how much do you charge

Comment

Paint, for now- free.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                I bought a basketweave stamp yesterday, that will be todays tinkering.

The stiching wasn't too bad- except where I goofed it up.
                Yeah, if you aren't doing a lot at once, its not bad. But, I get to where my fingers start cramping when I do a bunch at one time. Maybe Im just a wimp.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                  A few more.

First pic is a Buck 110 cut, stamped and ready to sew. Second is the Buck ready, and my next victum- a Case Trapper (I think).

The stamping, pain in the rear. As I was stamping I kept noticing my mistakes and thought it was going to look like poo, once finished and stained- nothing.

Third pic is the Buck 110 finished. Spoken for, plus another one I'm giving to my hunting partner.
                  I would suggest getting a granite slab to stamp on. I got mine for free as a remnant from a local stone countertop maker. I called him and told him what I was doing and he went out and hand picked a piece for me. Apparently the darker the stone, the harder it is, so get as dark as you can.

Comment

Case

Here is the Case sheath, natural color.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bucksaw View Post
                      I would suggest getting a granite slab to stamp on. I got mine for free as a remnant from a local stone countertop maker. I called him and told him what I was doing and he went out and hand picked a piece for me. Apparently the darker the stone, the harder it is, so get as dark as you can.
                      yep, I had a customer give me a white granite cutting board and after stamping on it a few times it broke into 3 pieces. I still use the pieces because they are big enough and are lighter than the whole slab.

Comment

pic

Buckshot-73 has a new sheath, hope he likes it. If it's not tight enough- let me know. Good luck on the hunt, and no Pics.

Picked up a peice of granite from Jermdog. Worked out well.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Razorback01; 01-07-2015, 06:31 PM. Reason: pic

Comment

Just got a case trapper sheath in the mail this thing is awesome! Thanks razor

Comment

Your welcome Rum, my pleasure.

Comment

A couple more. A new twist on a Buck 110, and I bought a Case Trapper while in Atlanta a couple weeks ago and made a sheath for it.

The 110 case is still wet, dye tomorrow.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X