So, the quail hunters killed the longer deer season in the north zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, the quail hunters killed the longer deer season in the north zone

I don't have a dog in this hunt, because we are MLDP, but it proves that the TP&W commission are just a bunch of elitists. I'm betting that the number of deer hunters taking advantage of the longer season would dwarf the number of quail hunters by at least a factor of 10, but the buddies of this elitist bunch succeeded in squashing the longer season. We need a purge of that board.

I would be willing to bet plenty of landowners opposed it and commented on it. Alot of landowners are ready for the season to end and alot easier to say tpwd sets the seasons. If truth be known alot of those landowners would be happy if the hunters just paid there money and didn't show up. Lol!

Comment

Love me some quail. How many months do you need a kill a deer?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Even though I start my stalk in October, I sometimes don't complete it until February. They never see me coming.

Comment

Folks just think duck and deer hunting is expensive, the quail hunters are in a Leauge of their own.

Comment

Dang 1%ers! May all of "their" quail be hailed upon. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Me, usually a few weeks in October . But my boys take a little longer being 7 and 10. I also only take one at a time so I can teach them the maximum amount I can. School and sports schedules tend to make it difficult. The extra time would be useful in getting them both out there more than twice a season.

Comment

This thread has the potential to turn bitter quick. You don’t seem to have a very favorable view of quail hunters in general. I must ask, why do you use the term elitist twice in your post to describe a group of fellow sportsmen who, like you, have a passion for their outdoor activity? Have you ever hunted quail behind a good set of dogs? If not, I would encourage you to try it. I can’t imagine any hunter not falling in love with quail hunting. As hunters, sportsmen, outdoorsmen we must work together to preserve our ENTIRE hunting heratige. Most quail hunting leases are only available after deer season as it is, which means quail hunters already miss out on the first 2 months of the legal season. Texas already has a generous season length and bag with regard to deer hunting. Also, deer hunting is king and deer hunters control the lease land. It seems to me that if much more is taken from quail hunting it will by necessity become a thing of the past. I for one would hate to see this happen.

Comment

Killed my Pope & Young 12-16.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                    Folks just think duck and deer hunting is expensive, the quail hunters are in a Leauge of their own.
                    Man that's the truth right there...

Comment

Cheaper to get quail at HEB.

Comment

Quail, can't you just raise those and ring their neck at maturity?

Comment

I wish they would wait and not open deer season until November and then extend it until the end of Jan. (to Dang hot in Oct. to hunt anyway)

Comment

Deer season doesn’t need to be that long anyway. Would just be more time to worry about young bucks getting killed by neighbors, bucks getting shot after they drop antlers etc. You already get 4 months not to mention MLD and whatever they do. I don’t think it was just quail hunters opposing it.

Comment

Originally posted by pharmvet View Post
                              This thread has the potential to turn bitter quick. You don’t seem to have a very favorable view of quail hunters in general. I must ask, why do you use the term elitist twice in your post to describe a group of fellow sportsmen who, like you, have a passion for their outdoor activity? Have you ever hunted quail behind a good set of dogs? If not, I would encourage you to try it. I can’t imagine any hunter not falling in love with quail hunting. As hunters, sportsmen, outdoorsmen we must work together to preserve our ENTIRE hunting heratige. Most quail hunting leases are only available after deer season as it is, which means quail hunters already miss out on the first 2 months of the legal season. Texas already has a generous season length and bag with regard to deer hunting. Also, deer hunting is king and deer hunters control the lease land. It seems to me that if much more is taken from quail hunting it will by necessity become a thing of the past. I for one would hate to see this happen.
                              Because over 90% of the responses to the the extended season were positive, yet they went against it in favor of a vocal minority with $$$$$$$. That's elitist in my book.

Comment

Working...
                              X