I got a ticket rant...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a ticket rant...

So I’ve got a little Toyota pickup that sits in the driveway for the most part. The registration went out in Sept and at the time a brake light was out. I got around to getting it fixed and inspected in November and I renewed the registration Dec 6th. I was issued an 11 sticker, I guess because that’s when it was inspected. I slap the sticker on the windshield and file the paperwork with my tax papers.

The next day I’m on my way home from my son’s basketball game, driving the Toyota since it hasn’t been on the road in a while. I’m in the right lane and I see flashing lights ahead, I signal and move over one lane and check my speed, all good. The trooper kills his lights then pulls out and follows behind me, the next thing I know his lights are flashing again and he’s pulling me over. I’m thinking hmm, I wonder if that brake light is out again.

The trooper comes to the window and proceeds to tell me that he stopped me for an expired registration. Oh, no sir, that can’t be, I just renewed it the other day (I really couldn’t remember what day I did it, I just knew it was that week, old age is a *****!). I showed him the sticker and I think he was puzzled about it being “11” and me insisting that I had just registered it. He asked if I had my receipt, “no sir, it’s at the house”. The first time I ever stick that sticker on the same day I got it and it bites me in the butt! Had I not stuck it on I’d still have the receipt in the truck. He then tells me he’s going to “have” to write me up and I’ll just have to go to the court house and they’ll dismiss it. Well that’s kind of a pain in the *** for me.

I take a long lunch and bring all of the paperwork in. The clerk asks if I paid the penalty for getting a ticket when I registered it. No ma’am, I registered it the day BEFORE I got the ticket. Oh, did you not have the window sticker? Oh, yes ma’am, it was in place. And he still wrote you a ticket? Yes ma’am, he said it wasn’t updated in the system. Hmm, I think the judge will dismiss it but you may have to pay a $22 dismissal fee. That’s a state fee and we can’t waive it. Let me make copies of all of your paperwork and I’ll see what she says and call you next week.

So I get the call... we can dismiss the ticket but you’ll have to pay the dismissal fee. You won’t have to come back here, you can just pay it over the phone with a credit card. There’s a $5.95 convenience fee for using a card. You can come back here to pay it if you don’t want to use a card, but we don’t take cash or personal checks, you’ll have to bring a money order or cashier’s check.

So not only do I have to pay $22 to dismiss a ticket that I shouldn’t have been written I have to pay $5.95 to use a credit card or take more time off work to go get and pay for a money order or cashier’s check and take it to the court house. Personally I think that’s a crock of ****! In this day and age “systems” are updated instantly. The lady that takes care of our fleet vehicles says she goes to renew registration as soon as the trucks are inspected and they’ve already got them updated, same day and at times within an hour. I think somebody dropped the ball updating my registration. But even at that there should be a way to drop fees when a ticket is not justified. I could see if I was driving with an expired registration or maybe even if I didn’t have the sticker on my windshield, but I did everything I was supposed to do as I was supposed to do it!

Rant over. Thanks!

Systems for govt are horrible. I got a jury duty letter from ohio to my newly bought house in Texas... when I called they said oh you are still registered to vote. Told them I haven't lived there in 5years now, so if they have me as registered to vote theyve got bigger problems. Told me there's nothing they can do about it and hung up.

Comment

what a PITA

Comment

I would be mad too

Comment

Sucks, but I wouldn’t be wasting negative energy on it. Brighter things happen in life that I’d be focused on.

Comment

That's the one's that give cops a bad name.. he wasn't sharp enough to read the sticker like they did before having computers in their car.

Comment

I am mad for you. Did not make it past line 4, but hope it is dismissed.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

That is a pain in the butt. Not much you can do about it though. What comes around goes around. Someday,somewhere,somebody might step out of their vehicle and they'll do the exact opposite of get wrote a ticket. I wouldn't doubt it.

Karma is a mother bear sometimes.

Not wishing bad on anyone. But in this day and age there is enough people that hate cops out there. They don't need the extra help. Somebody should tell that guy.
                Last edited by okrattler; 01-10-2019, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                  Systems for govt are horrible. I got a jury duty letter from ohio to my newly bought house in Texas... when I called they said oh you are still registered to vote. Told them I haven't lived there in 5years now, so if they have me as registered to vote theyve got bigger problems. Told me there's nothing they can do about it and hung up.
                  Can you find out if a ballot was cast under your registration for the last 5 years?

Comment

Not updated in the system?

That might be one of the most stupid excuses for a citation ever.

All these years I thought that the burden of proof was on the state but apparently I misunderstood the law. You have to pay to prove that no crime was committed.

I guess that you were lucky that he did not write you a running a stop sign ticket, even if there was no stop sign in the area, and you would have to go prove that you were not guilty.

Comment

you better hope they get the government back up and running so they can get our 'services' turned back on....

the only thing more frustrating to me than government is the government workers' attitudes.

Comment

I think that would pizz me off just enough to go to court over.
                        You did not break any law, you had clearly paid for new registration regardless what any system malfunctions might be saying.
                        There are not many things that pizz me off like the DMV

Comment

That's BS!! I'd tell them I'm pleading not guilty. Set a trial date. I'm not paying a ticket dismissal fee for something like this.

Comment

Sounds like a bad citation to me and in my opinion should never be written under those circumstances, but I’m just a very low man on the totem pole so I carry no weight. Also, I don’t work for DPS so don’t know their policies.

You might be out the money unfortunately but I would at least try to get in touch with his supervisor, if possible, so he and whoever else can be retrained. The supervisor may refer you to a formal complaint process. I would do this so it doesn’t keep happening.

Comment

A money grab that's all it is, all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Comment

Working...
                              X