Best Time to BOWHUNT Africa??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Time to BOWHUNT Africa??

We will be meeting with our Outfitter in Dallas next weekend to finalize our dates. So, I am trying to get an idea on when is the best time for a group of four bowhunters after plains game to hunt the Limpopo area? Plan now is early August, but there might possibly circumstances requiring it to be earlier. It also seems cheaper to fly in May then it does June-August. Is May good hunting for archery guys? Appreciate any help from guys who have been!

May can still be green depending on the amount of rain that fell during the current rain season.

But I have had good hunts in May so no issue.

Try and pick the dark moon phase of the month you hunt.

And above all remember to enjoy the hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Depends on whether you want to spot and stalk or hunt over food and water. The later the better for hunting over bait, but the greener it is the easier it will be to spot and stalk. We went in June and it was tough at times because of the rain and vegetation.

Comment

I have only been in Sept., but have done spot and stalk on Bushbucks (2), Nyala and a Lioness with success and the rest of my animals have been over water.
        Like others have said, the earlier the greener and possibly cheaper flights earlier.

Comment

Hunting later in the season has been better for me when conditions are at their driest. Hunting water is extremely effective and traffic is high but the temps can be as well. Spotting and stalking is definitely more comfortable earlier in the season and it can still be pretty green aiding in cover during stalks. I’ve had success in June and I’ve had success in September, a good outfitter and PH will make the adjustments to give you the shot opportunities you are looking for while working with the conditions.

Comment

Like said above, just adjust to conditions. May is Kudu rut and would be my choice for a big bull. Later in season they bait with alfalfa, and over water and is definitely more effective. Probably get shots at more species than you would spot/stalk. May is shoulder season for the airlines too, and you would probably save enough for an additional trophy fee for another animal.

I hunted Limpopo and Mpumalanga August 1-15, and it was center of winter and cold in mornings. Animals stood around until 1000 before moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerhard View Post
              May can still be green depending on the amount of rain that fell during the current rain season.

But I have had good hunts in May so no issue.

Try and pick the dark moon phase of the month you hunt.

And above all remember to enjoy the hunt!

Will it be all spot and stalk in May or some blind hunting too?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
                Will it be all spot and stalk in May or some blind hunting too?

You will probably do 95% hunting from a blind / elevated hide or tree stand.

Spot and stalk in Africa with the bow is extremely difficult with all the eyes around and mostly thick brush normally found in the Limpopo Province.

If the outfit knows its stuff with bow hunting May will be a good time but I will suggest going late July to August depending on the dark moon phase.

The stands will normally be busy with animals & birds visiting and keeping you occupied.

Most places in the Limpopo Province only started to receive rains late in December and early January...

Best would be to sit down and discuss all these matters with the outfitter when you meet.

He knows his concessions the best and will be able to give you all the answers you are looking for to confirm the hunting date.

Comment

Who are you hunting with?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerhard View Post
                    You will probably do 95% hunting from a blind / elevated hide or tree stand.

Spot and stalk in Africa with the bow is extremely difficult with all the eyes around and mostly thick brush normally found in the Limpopo Province.

If the outfit knows its stuff with bow hunting May will be a good time but I will suggest going late July to August depending on the dark moon phase.

The stands will normally be busy with animals & birds visiting and keeping you occupied.

Most places in the Limpopo Province only started to receive rains late in December and early January...

Best would be to sit down and discuss all these matters with the outfitter when you meet.

He knows his concessions the best and will be able to give you all the answers you are looking for to confirm the hunting date.

Thank You! I am hoping we can leave it for August 1. I was just trying to see how bad it would be if we had to go in early May.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      Who are you hunting with?
                      Sent you a PM

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

Anyone archery hunted late May with good success?

Comment

Yes, my first trip was late May. Like mentioned, greener in May. Supplemental feeding hadn't begun yet because there was plenty of green left for the animals to eat, but they still need to drink. Had plenty of success. Also, late May, early June is the rut for several species like Kudu and Impala so that is a good experience. When I went in May I went for a 7 day and killed 6 animals. Gemsbok, Kudu, Impala, Wildebeest and 2 Warthogs. The only one on my list I didn't get was a Zebra, but they are difficult with a bow. I bowhunt only. I hunt with Limcroma so they are very good about getting your opportunities, no matter what time of year.

Comment

Bow

I have many trips to SA bowhunting (I also do gun) but my fave time to go is late March and early April (moon phase watch) The reason I like this time is the animals are at a total relax and have not been hunted and yes it is hunting out of hides but many times more productive to me and plus higher end trophies (not been pressured for awhile)

Comment

Working...
                              X