30 cal subsonic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30 cal subsonic

I am wanting to have a bolt rifle to shoot subsonic. I am looking at a Remington 700 SPS tactical IN 300 blkout but I have a Savage model 12 in 308 that I really never shoot so I could have the barrel threaded for my suppressor. I’ve looked at both ammo and either one gives the same performance. Whatever I do this gun will be strictly subsonic and Thermal. So my question is, new gun in 300 blkout or fix my 308 savage to do what I want. Let’s hear your comments.

Thanks

And if I did use my savage, should I cut the 26” barrel down to 17”. And would that change the performance in any way. It is a tack driver now.

Comment

I do 308 subsonic and 300 blk subsonic and it depends on barrel twist. 1-10 will get you about a 180gr max subsonic bullet with about 10-11gr of trailboss powder. a 300blk with a 1-7 will let you shoot 220-240gr subs with pistol powder. Both are capable of subsonic work and both can be somewhat accurate but dont expect sub moa out of subs.

Comment

This will be used for Varmints

Comment

I think you will be better off threading your .308 barrel and use .308 subs.

Comment

For suppressed shooting the 300 blackout is the better cartridge. The 308 will work but your twist rate will determine the limitations on bullet weight and they just aren’t as consistent in velocity as the blackout due to much more case capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I know I've slept a lot since purchasing my Crux can, but I could have sworn it stated in the owners manual that shooting sub .308's through the can would void its warranty due to the common twist rate of the .308 not being able to stabilize the bullet in time (at sub speeds) which would equate to a baffle strike inside the can.

If there is any truth to that (Might just be a Crux thing) I'd stick with a BO.

For the amount of money it would take to pull, cut, recrown, thread and remount your .308 barrel- you might find buying the new bolt gun to be in the same price range.

I'm carrying a 16.5" creed in a savage I bought off here and the accuracy is just fine (1" to clover leafs at 100) with normal ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                For suppressed shooting the 300 blackout is the better cartridge. The 308 will work but your twist rate will determine the limitations on bullet weight and they just aren’t as consistent in velocity as the blackout due to much more case capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                This is solid advice.

Agree if you are set on only shooting subs the 300BO the better choice.

Comment

Here is an option that would probably be close to the thread your current barrel cost-

The 100% American-made, Ruger American Rifle is the latest engineering innovation from America's leading firearms manufacturer. Offered in short- and long-action calibers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is what I’m looking at in the 300 blkout

Click image for larger version

Name:	35862BCE-DBBF-4B01-8CB0-D3B2FD874D48.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	24566936

Comment

I am a Blackout fan. What Mike D said makes sense about the stabilizing of the bullet with inconsistent velocities. Thus, baffle strikes. The 300 was made to run suppressed and does a great job at it. Bullet weights come from 100 to 220gr. Get the 300 rifle in either the Remington platform of the Ruger American. Very good rifle and you will save a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                        Here is an option that would probably be close to the thread your current barrel cost-

The 100% American-made, Ruger American Rifle is the latest engineering innovation from America's leading firearms manufacturer. Offered in short- and long-action calibers

Not sure where you get your threading done, but Morgan over at Class 3 Machining would only be a third of that or less. Bare barrels (like an AR barrel) only run $75 including return shipping for a cut, crown and thread.

Comment

Go get you a Ruger Ranch in 300 Blk. It’s threaded for a suppressor and almost half the price of the Remington.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                            Not sure where you get your threading done, but Morgan over at Class 3 Machining would only be a third of that or less. Bare barrels (like an AR barrel) only run $75 including return shipping for a cut, crown and thread.

Wow that is a great price. I didn’t realize it could be done for so little.
                            I’ll keep this in mind if I ever need it done.

As far as the barrel removal and replacement goes, I understand it’s somewhat easy on a Savage.
                            From what little I know about it I think you need a special wrench and a gauge to get the barrel depth correct when reinstalling .
                            I would need a smith to do it or buy the tools and learn on my own- more monies spent towards the project either way.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                              Go get you a Ruger Ranch in 300 Blk. It’s threaded for a suppressor and almost half the price of the Remington.
                              This

I have both the ruger and Remington. I have never had much luck getting the Remington to group well with sub sonic. It does fine with full speed loads.
                              The ruger shoots the subs well.
                              Leigh used to have a disclaimer on their web site saying that their sub ammo would not shoot well out of the Remington

That said..... I will sell you my Remington for $500.00

Comment

Working...
                              X