Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really how important is blade sharpness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really how important is blade sharpness?

I keep reading people's posts about how important it is to keep your BH's "razor sharp".

Now, if an arrow is moving at @ 300 fps into the side of a deer it's not going to matter if the BH's are razor sharp or not. It's not like it'll bounce off or come to a stop.

Once the arrow hit's the internals, it'll tear them up regardless how sharp the BH is.

Am I missing something here or what? I mean, within reason, does it matter how sharp the blades are? Logic would seem to indicate that is does not to any measurable degree.

If super sharp as described it will prevent the wound from clotting....thus end of blood trail! As you know a clean cut/incission bleeds much more freely......i.e., a razor cut while shaving or better yet a surgeons scapel.

Comment

There's the answer. Oscar is right on.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
        If super sharp as described it will prevent the wound from clotting....thus end of blood trail! As you know a clean cut/incission bleeds much more freely......i.e., a razor cut while shaving or better yet a surgeons scapel.

Ok I'll see that argument to a point.

But you poke holes in the lungs or heart it's not going to clot.

So for a marginal hit it might matter?

Comment

Precisely, blade sharpness is very important to good blood trails and quick kills due to massive blood loss. Yes a dull broadhead will penetrate but not cut as well as a sharp one and will tend to push organs and tissue out of its way instead of cutting.

Comment

Oscar nailed it

Comment

I seen a demonstration that showed a dull broadhead would actually push the vanes and caps out of the way rather than slicing through them.. Dull heads are no bueno.
              Jeff Young

Comment

Originally posted by jyoung View Post
                I seen a demonstration that showed a dull broadhead would actually push the vanes and caps out of the way rather than slicing through them.. Dull heads are no bueno.
                pushing vs slicing

Comment

Thank you gentlemen.

Comment

Think also in terms of the capillaries and arteries in each organ and outside it. Get several rubber bands together and stretch them somewhat taut. run a dull broadhead through them. Some of them may break, but others will simply push out of the way. Do the same with a razor sharp broadhead, and they will all cut cleanly.

The object of bowhunting is to kill through hemorrhage, and the more hemorrhage you get, the more quickly and more humane your kill will be. The more massive the hemorrhaging, the less likely for clotting, which also makes for an easier blood trail. Dull cuts/tears will clot more easily, reducing chances of recovery, even on good shots. Add to that the fact that dull broadheads lose energy quickly because of increased friction, and the liklihood of a pass through is diminished. No exit wound dramatically decreases your chance for recovery.

Michael
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Ok so it's a question of effectiveness?

Because you certainly can't push the lungs or heart out of the way, the arrow will push THROUGH them. Thus a hit to the vitals with a "dull" blade will still work.

But that said, a sharp BH will be more effective.

That's fair I guess. I was just kind of curious. We really need a technical forum. (and one for Scoring and Aging)

Comment

A dull or not so sharp head may still cut and damage organs which will lead to a kill. Heck a blunt will kill...
                        The issue is the dull head after it does its damage inside will allow the entrence and exit wounds to clot minimizing the blood trail, therefor making the recovery more dificult or lost...

Comment

Dang......even the Boss chimes in. If it ain't sharp leave it at home.

Comment

Oscar nailed it.

To demonstrate how important a razor sharp broadhead is, stretch a rubber band and slide a "not so sharp" broadhead across it. Now try it with a razor sharp broadhead. It will slice through easily.

Comment

Originally posted by THellURider View Post
                              Thus a hit to the vitals with a "dull" blade will still work.

While that may be technically right, everyone knows that hunts don't always go as planned, hit a limb with an arrow, hit the blind with your bow, anything like that can always throw your shot off, and in thos situations, the sharpest broadhead may be the difference between getting the deer of a lifetime or going home empty handed.

I would rather spend a couple of bucks and have the deer

Not that anyone here ever used a dull broadhead
                              Jeff Young

Comment

Working...
                              X