Live hunt : How old is he?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How old does everyone think this buck is? I am debating whether or not to take him as a cull. He does not have a brow tine on his left beam and the tines are short all the way around. Also his left beam is deformed. Should I let him go and see if he develops or drop him?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190105_081014.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	25166717

I'm on the fence of 2 or 3 yr old.

Comment

Thank you. Any other thoughts?
      Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 01-05-2019, 08:27 AM.

Comment

walk

Comment

Walk

Comment

all depends on your deer herd and what kinda deer you been shooting. Probaly not the answer you were looking for. that being said I would want him shot on my ranch but we do shoot any deer 1.5 or older with no brow but we have been fighting that trait for a while now.

Comment

No older than 3.

Im prolly passing him at my place based on that pic

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

It won’t matter if you shoot him or let him walk when it comes to management.

Me personally I don’t like shooting small bucks no matter how goofy the horns are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have pics of other deer that are most like the deer on our place, but can't upload them. For comparison if I should shoot this one or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                    It won’t matter if you shoot him or let him walk when it comes to management.

Me personally I don’t like shooting small bucks no matter how goofy the horns are.

Why do you say that it wont matter for management if I shoot or let walk? Isn't that how a person manages the herd? Shoot or let walk. I don't understand your reply.
                    Last edited by COACH_EM_UP; 01-05-2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Id guess - 3.5

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                        Why do you say that it wont matter for management if I shoot or let walk? Isn't that how a person manages the hard? Shoot or let walk. I don't understand your reply.

If you are not in a controlled environment that deer being shot won’t make a bit of difference on the quality of the herd. The best thing is to let the deer age.

Now if you are MLD or have too many bucks and are needing to shoot so many bucks and so many does then I would take the lesser quality bucks of each age class.

Comment

No brow tines. Probably 3 . Will never be much and won't matter If you shoot him or not.. that said he needs another year . That should just about cover all of our opinions lol.

Comment

Let him go and see what next year bringd

Comment

Young-2 1/2

Comment

Working...
                              X