Odd possum behavior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd possum behavior

I was on my morning ride on a park road and came across this possum making circles in the middle of the road. I stopped right next to him and he did not even look up - he did not look injured. Seeing a largely nocturnal critter acting weird in daylight makes me think rabies but I've always heard possums are not susceptible to that disease. What do you think he was up to?

That's interesting. "Video unavailable" for me though.

Comment

Video doesn't work

I bet he had a head injury. I saw a ram with a busted skull turning circles like that. Had no idea we were there. Almost walked right into the truck.

Would guess he got hit by a car or fell out of a tree

Comment

It probably had a head injury that just can't be seen.

Comment

let me know if that works.

Comment

Yep, that video works. I would bet head injury as well.

Comment

Brain issue for sure. I'm almost a veterinarian. I watch all the National Geographic shows. Seen it happen to goats on there when they had some kind of illness.

Comment

That's a Nascar possum. He's makin another left turn!!!!

Comment

Yep brain damage of some sort. We had a mule deer buck doing that several years ago. Sent it in for test and he had damaged his pedical which led to an infection in his brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Time to put him down.

Comment

Bummer. Good rodents to have around!

Comment

Most likely rabid. Should have called animal control.
                        Any mammal can get rabies.
                        We’ve killed two rabid skunks on our place in the last three weeks (confirmed positive via testing.)
                        We were told this has been a particularly bad year for rabies because it’s been so dry, which concentrates animals around water and food sources.

Comment

Man, it's so weird that you posted this because Mindy and I experienced something so similar to this a couple years ago. It was in our back yard. It got even worse after this video. To the point that I was concerned about it spreading something to our pets or other animals in the area and finally went out there and put it out of its misery.

Link to video...

It got to the point where it was actually running smack into trees and stuff. It weren't right!!
                          Last edited by Snakelover; 05-17-2018, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Cwd.

Comment

Had a pet chihuahua do that when I was a kid, and the vet told us she had suffered a stroke. So my vote is also for something affecting the central nervous system (rabies, head injury, etc.).

Comment

Working...
                              X