TPWD Gus Engeling Archery Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ungawa View Post
    Yes, I remember applying pre internet, with the book and all, but I just did not remember ever seeing stats like that............... moore spots that actual hunters.
    Oh trust me plenty locals showed up to fill some of those spots, they ain't too fond of the new system...

Comment

Originally posted by furtrapper View Post
      At Gus Engeling WMA try for unit 1 and hunt at the bottom of the hill where the powerlines are just down where the road crosses it.
      I've always heard the compartments closest to hwy 287 aren't as good, poorest are probably the compartments in the northwest quadrant a few of those in northwest most part they cleared alot of and the others to the west of wildlife road up there are more open and seem to be the ones left out after everyone selects compartments. I would choose one along the creek on the east side, they will ask you to list your top 3 compartement choices. Depending on what order you were chosen in the draw, your party size and vehicle type and drivetain, you may or may not get put where you want, they decide for you.

Comment

Lots of deer in the area. Need to find travel routes and natural funnels with sign. Always had better luck high in a tree in East Texas for sure!

Comment

Finding oak trees producing wasn't a problem. A few years back when I went. There was Thousands of oaks producing and lots of tracks . Just trying to pic the best looking trail was the issue like rolling dice!!

Comment

Originally posted by UrbanBuck View Post
            Lots of deer in the area. Need to find travel routes and natural funnels with sign. Always had better luck high in a tree in East Texas for sure!
            I just got back from the Big Lake Bottom WMA hunt, which is very close to Gus Engeling and it really opened my eyes to how preferable a climber is in that area. Lots of tall hardwoods to see over cover - I won't be making the mistake of a ground blind this go-around.

Comment

Originally posted by hank hill View Post
              i just got back from the big lake bottom wma hunt, which is very close to gus engeling and it really opened my eyes to how preferable a climber is in that area. Lots of tall hardwoods to see over cover - i won't be making the mistake of a ground blind this go-around.

climber it is for me then!

Comment

Working...
              X