Fredericksburg.... how is the hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fredericksburg.... how is the hunting?

I have an opportunity to get on a place there. Just curious what the deer in that area are like? When I think of that area I think lots of small deer but I've never actually hunted there. There are supposed to be lots of Axis on the place as well so it might be worth it just for them.

I hunt right outside of Johnson City heading toward the Burg. We have some nice size deer, no axis, but we do have some black buck antelope.

Comment

I hunt just outside of Harper.....ton of deer on our place.

Comment

Originally posted by mojorider View Post
        I hunt just outside of Harper.....ton of deer on our place.
        Any size to them?

Comment

Hill coutry deer are generally small but the guys and gals in that area have really managed lately. There are some decent deer around now. My cousin hunts between Fredericksberg and I think Harper going I know its west of Fredericksberg, and they see and harvest some legit 140-160 class animals plus a ton of Axis and Blackbuck in their area.

Comment

I hunt in Doss just north of Fredericksburg. We have good deer. But we do manage them. I believe more and more people are managing so seeing better deer. Not to mention the #'s of deer.

Comment

Ill take the axis over a 160" whitetail anyway. So I will get you a spot on my north texas deer lease with big deer and ill take the spot with axis. Deal?

Comment

I don't what you consider small deer but most mature deer in that area weight around 140 to 150 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                  Ill take the axis over a 160" whitetail anyway. So I will get you a spot on my north texas deer lease with big deer and ill take the spot with axis. Deal?
                  If all goes well I'll trade you a big axis for a big whitetail.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                    If all goes well I'll trade you a big axis for a big whitetail.
                    Deal! Keep me posted.

Comment

Been in Stonewall for 8 - 10 years! LOTS of deer and yes the body sizes are small as compared to East and North Texas. Target rich for bowhunters. We are now seriously protein feeding and coming up with these type of critters. Last year the doe had sooo many triplets it was scary. We are low fence so the AXIS and Blackbuck come an go. The deer tend to stay all year with the planted fields.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	stonewall2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	24372209

Name:	stonewall4.jpg
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	24372210

Name:	Stonewallbeast2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	24372211

Name:	BlackBuckpic.jpg
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	24372212

Comment

We have killed some decent hill country bucks on our lease in Fredericksburg.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427763950.683833.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	24372228

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427763989.735745.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	24372229

Comment

Working...