Hog trap gate - guillotine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog trap gate - guillotine

Well since I had the day off (kidney stone) I decided to get some work done after I pasted that dude.

I was wanting to build a hog trap with a guillotine type door.
    5 2X6X8
    4 2X4X8
    2 1X1X4
    4 inch screws
    some 1 1/2 inch nails
    1 sheet 4X8 plywood. the stuff that is almost an inch thick.

I sandwiched the 2x4 between 2 2X6s all three with one long edge equal
    This creates a channel on the inside

with two of these you now have the sides.

then I cut the sheet of plywood in half nail the two sheets together and you have almost two inch think plywood door. I cut it down to 40 1/2 inches wide by four feet high.

I think cut the the remaining 2X6 in half and used it as a top and bottom to the frame. Remember to put the plywood door in first.

Then cut the 2X4 in half and brace it half way up.

Now use the 1X1s to create a channel on the bottom plate.

Take a 2X4 and cut it to fit the top of the plywood and screw it in place.

Now it is done except the trigger.

this requires two pieces of 2X4 amounting to about 3'6"

These two pieced would run vertical from the 2X4 cross brace to the 2X4 on the door. A cord attached to a nail or eye-bolt right at the cut will cause the vertical trigger to fall out allowing the door to slide down closing the door.

I think it will work. My only fear is if a hog can get over the 4 foot door. If that becomes a problem I will add more 2X4 cross braces to prevent that.

Click the image to get a larger picture.

I plan on attaching this to a cattle panels and T posts. Most of the time the gate will be propped up and when I am around it will be set to trap. I will have a hanging feeder above to keep them interested during the week.

I get more pictures once it is in place. Let me know if anyone needs any more detailed pictures.

Looks good!

Comment

Looks nice...

Comment

Looks Good!

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Looks good.....

Comment

Great idea but i would consider 4x4 panels (utility panels) instead of cow panels. This way the little one's can't escape and the big ones can't break through the smaller holes.
              Good Luck

Comment

nice looking gate.

Comment

looks good man thos stones will whip some butt

Comment

I would like to see more pics. (side, top, bottom view). Looks good!

Thx, Bigjohntex

Comment

looks good

Comment

Just wondering but when it rains or the wood gets wet will the trap still work or will the wood swell and not slide?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter08 View Post
                          Just wondering but when it rains or the wood gets wet will the trap still work or will the wood swell and not slide?
                          Not sure. I think it would have to swell a lot. The only thing I could see swelling would be the door. Everything else is treated and really wet already. I am more worried about it twisting when drying. We will have to see. it cost about 65 bucks to build the gate so if it fails. I will consider it a lesson learned and one cheaper than many others I have learned.

I did get the trap built this weekend and got a few pictures I will upload later. I will say that two 16 foot panels did not make nearly as big of a pen as I thought it would. Right now there is a small feeder and the door is held open to get them use to eating in there.

Comment

Here are a couple of pictures

I have a little more work to do. But it is set to stay open so it shouldn't take to much of a beating.

I need to add a few T posts

And I have a couple of landscaping timbers that I am going to sandwich the panels to the gate with.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

You may want to see if there is a way of having it self latch once the door is down. Though the chances are slim I have seen them actually pick the doors up and get out. The one that i have which seems to work quit well has a spring loaded pin that once the door is down it keeps the door stuck shut. Just some food for thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X