Can someone double check me please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone double check me please?

I am looking at getting some new arrows for my recurve and it is time to get serious and do some bareshaft tuning. I think my issue is that I am teetering between .500 and .400 spine. If I want to shoot a 30" arrow then I really think I need a .500 spine but the arrows are a little light. I think I may go with a .400 spine arrow and shoot it full length to help get some more weight.

Spec's:
    Samick Sage 45#
    my draw length 28-28.5"
    would like to shoot 125gr broad heads due to how easy they are to find
    shooting off shelf with bear hair rest
    18 strand Fast flight flemish string.

The arrows I am looking at are the Gold Tip Traditional 5575 (.400) and leaving them full length at 32"(at least starting from that length). I checked Stu Miller and these arrows at that length seem to be really close. Can someone please double check me on this to see if I am selecting the right arrow or have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

I'd say .400 is too stiff for a 45# bow. I'm a fan of Stu's calculator, but it's just one tool in the bag. Sometimes, this is more of an art than a science.

You could use a .500 or even a .600. The wieght difference in arrows (length and type) is pretty small. If you want to add weight, you need to do it with insert and broadhead choices. You can use a 125 gr head, but maybe use a 75 gr insert instead of the normal ones.

If you're around 28.5", then a 30" arrow is a good start. The exact length will depend on tuning, etc.

How heavy do you want your completed arrow to be?
    Last edited by TxAg; 04-23-2012, 07:57 AM.

Comment

400s are going to be too stiff with 125g points. You would have to put some weighted inserts in them or go to the 500 spine shafts to get them to fly right, and you might even have to add a little more weight to the 500s.

Comment

When I run the 400's at 32" in the Stu Miller the weight difference is 1.2 pounds between the bow and the arrow. If I input a 500 cut at 30" there is a 5.9 pound difference. Is the Stu Miller calculator like the easton arrow chart where it is a little on the stiff side?

I do also see that Gold Tip offers 100gr brass inserts that will work with both the 3555's and the 5575's.
        Last edited by RemMan700; 04-23-2012, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Stu's calculator is an awesome tool if you have entered all your data 100% correct. You can't leave any of the required information blank and if any of the information you enter is off just a hair it can lead you down a path you don't want to go.

Comment

I'd think a 3555 would be the right shaft for you if your wanting just 125 up front, 400's would probably need around 250 up front maybe more

Comment

OK my wifes' bow is 44# (Samick Sage)and it uses a 600 spine shaft with a 125 grain point. They fly great. I shot it and I draw 29 1/2" and they flew even better.

Comment

If I buy a couple of arrows in each spine to sort of make a spine testing kit can they all be bare shaft and just go with what spine groups closest to center? Or do you have to shoot bare shaft and fletched arrows together for the test to properly work?

Comment

I shoot 52 lbs and 5575 were way too stiff for me even with 250-270 grains up front. You'll be better off with the 3555.

Comment

Originally posted by RemMan700 View Post
                    If I buy a couple of arrows in each spine to sort of make a spine testing kit can they all be bare shaft and just go with what spine groups closest to center? Or do you have to shoot bare shaft and fletched arrows together for the test to properly work?
                    For bare shafting you have to make adjustment based on fletched and non fletched groups. I would think a full length (30") .600 would get you in the ballpark fastest. If your wanting to use a 125 point, .500's may need a weighted insert.

I shoot .500 -30" with 145 point on 49-52 lb bows and get good flight and .600 arrows 30" with 125-100 points on the same bows for targets.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Comment

I shoot 5575 shafts 29 1/2" with 100 gr brass inserts and 125 gr heads. My bow is 52# at my 26" draw. I use the Old Adcock tuning method. Three bare shafts and three forced shafts. Here's the link. I hope this helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by swampghost View Post
                          i shoot 5575 shafts 29 1/2" with 100 gr brass inserts and 125 gr heads. My bow is 52# at my 26" draw. I use the old adcock tuning method. Three bare shafts and three forced shafts. Here's the link. I hope this helps you.

http://bowmaker.net/tuning.htm
                          x 2 ^^^

Comment

It's not 3 forced shafts, it's supposed to say fletched shafts lol
                            Sorry for the typo....

Comment

Working...
                            X