No announcement yet.

Leica versus Vortex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had the Leica Geovid 10x42 HD range finding binoculars for a few years and they are without a doubt the best glass I have owned. The range finding is spot on and I have custom load development data in them and that is spot on as well.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
      Never had a problem with Vortex. For the price, I would put them up against Sworvski's any day. No one here will agree with me, but that's fine.

My own anecdotal evidence was elk hunting last year, when I was able to see tines from my Vortex bino's and our guide couldn't see anything besides color of the elk's back out of his Swarovski's. Guide used my bino's and was able to see the tines.
      Which model Bino’s?

Comment

I've seen it all now come on deer season

Comment

I take my hunting time pretty seriously and I’m willing to spend whatever it takes to get the gear I think works the best for me and is ultra reliable. I use Leica Geovid 10x42 rangefinding binos. I also carry a leupold handheld rangefinder as a backup and on some final stalks. I think vortex products are great for their price point and are totally functional. I have never looked through a piece of vortex glass that outperformed Leica or Swarovski.

Comment

Never had a problem with Vortex. For the price, I would put them up against Sworvski's any day. No one here will agree with me, but that's fine.

My own anecdotal evidence was elk hunting last year, when I was able to see tines from my Vortex bino's and our guide couldn't see anything besides color of the elk's back out of his Swarovski's. Guide used my bino's and was able to see the tines.
            Sorry, but I call BS on this one unless his Swaro's are screwed up. May be true, but I doubt it. Leica's or Swaro's over anything else on the market hands down. Being able to see earlier and late will separate the lower priced binos from the Leica's and Swaro's and also eye strain over a full day of glassing will show also. BUT, this is just my opinion. I personally have the old model Swaro 10x42's that have served me well for many, many years.

Comment

Snap-On vs Harbor Freight

Comment

I agree with everyone else, but Leica does have the crappiest customer service in the industry and Vortex CS is incredible.. Something to consider

For binos, I would get a Leica or Zeiss.. Swaros are the best but out of my price range
                Last edited by Deers & Beers; 06-07-2018, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I have a pair of high end Vortex. I also just got high end Leupold. Gave the vortex to my son. I’d trade leupold for Swarovski or Leica all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
                    I agree with everyone else, but Leica does have the crappiest customer service in the industry and Vortex CS is incredible.. Something to consider

While I have heard the same about Leica CS, I would never sacrifice glass quality for better customer service, especially when you are getting into 4 figures for glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      Sorry, but I call BS on this one unless his Swaro's are screwed up. May be true, but I doubt it. Leica's or Swaro's over anything else on the market hands down. Being able to see earlier and late will separate the lower priced binos from the Leica's and Swaro's and also eye strain over a full day of glassing will show also. BUT, this is just my opinion. I personally have the old model Swaro 10x42's that have served me well for many, many years.

I have to agree with this and so would my wife. I have/had both and there is no way any glass Vortex has will outperform even lower end Swarovski glass.

The glass in Vortex Razor binos is good, but not Swarovski, Leica or high end Zeiss good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

These threads never end well.

OP do a search on a bird watching forum and you will get the answers you need. Those folks live behind spotting scopes and binos far more than most hunters and guides. You will soon get your answer there, fairly certain it will be a German brand with Schott glass. Matter of fact there was a bird watching guide on THF that can answer questions.

For the most part the Leica will have much better optics and light transition, I will also assume your on a budget and trying to justify the cost difference between the two. I have my own experience with Leica and will leave it at that.

Buy what you feel comfortable with and go on a hunting trip. Leica optics will cost you as much as a Axis hunt, Vortex will cost you as much as a cull hunt.

Comment

Id like to know what model of each. My dad has some razor HD 10x42s and I have a set of swaro 10x42 EL HD and its not even remotely close. The HD swaro beats lieca too in my opinion. I have owned all 3. The swaro rangefinder in the binos isnt too impressive but niether is lieca. I use my EL HDs and a sig kilo 2000. I carry them both in an alaska guide creations harness with my kestrel. Everything from spotting to a wind and range call is on my chest and done within 30 seconds usually.

Buy the absolute best you can afford. If it takes saving for a month or two longer then so be it

Comment

I would choose Leica. I have a set of inexpensive Vortex Diamondback binos that are really good for the money though. However, I can't really say the same about some of the other Vortex products I have used. Whether true or not, in my mind, it is more difficult to stumble across bad Leica products than Vortex products. I have a Leica ER 5 scope that I love. It's bright, crisp and clear.

Comment

In my bow hunting gear I carry around south Texas is a Sig Kilo and an old pair of Pentax binos. Before y'all optic snobs get me on the ground and bust up my ribs, let me say this. On my Nilgai hunt this year, my guide had a pair of Nikon Rangefinder Binos and they are much smaller and lighter than most other brands.

I have really thought about about buying them, because it would be a two fer. Eliminate a range finder and save some space. The glass was ok and the rangefinder part was fast and decent. Reckon I would not use them in the mountains or plains, just in the Mesquites and brush. Rifle hunting, I have another set up for that. Watcha think?

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                                Already know that Vortex is less expensive however between

The Leica Geovid 10x42 HD R and the Vortex Fury HD 10x42 which one would you select? You are planning to use them regularly and for a long time.

Swarovski not in the mix because of the range finder limitations,control on left side, not under 33yd etc
                                Might be best if you can use or try both during a low light condition time of day, dawn or dusk this will help you on making your own decision about which will best suit your needs.
                                These low light conditions will separate the differences between good binos vs great binos Then it will be up to you to decide if the price difference is worth paying for.
                                IMO ~ get the best quality glass you can afford

Comment

Working...
                                X