Muzzle loading elk hunt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbeak

got the barrel in and put on. don't match but that's alright. resizing the pic made it look short and stubby
    That looks like a SBR ML

Comment

maybe it isn't.....maybe it is......

Comment

Went and sighted in, 50 yds, and got the last 4 shots within 4in. Took a while to get it semi dialed in. Took a full 20 a shot box. Gonna head back in a couple weeks

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
          Congrats on the tag. Just as an FYI since some guys above mentioned some things that are illegal in Colorado for muzzle loading. Here is a copy of the muzzleloader regs straight from the brochure

3. MUZZLELOADING RIFLES
          & SMOOTHBORE MUSKETS
          a. Only legal muzzleloaders allowed in muzzleloading seasons.
          b. In-line muzzleloaders are legal.
          c. Must be a single barrel that fires a single round ball or conical projectile.
          d. To hunt deer, pronghorn or bear, they must be minimum of .40 caliber.
          e. To hunt elk or moose, they must be minimum of .50 caliber.
          f. From .40 caliber to .50 caliber, bullets must weigh a minimum 170 grains.
          g. If greater than .50 caliber, bullets must weigh a minimum 210 grains.
          h. Shotshell primers and B.O.R. Lock MZ System bullets are legal.
          i. Pelletized powder systems prohibited in muzzleloading seasons.
          j. Cannot be loaded from the breech in muzzleloading seasons.
          k. Only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading seasons. Fiber optics
          and fluorescent paint incorporated into or on open or iron sights are
          legal. Scopes or any sighting device using artificial light, batteries and
          electronic gear are prohibited during muzzleloading seasons.
          l. Sabots are prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Cloth patches are not
          sabots.
          m. Smokeless powder prohibited in muzzleloading seasons. Black powder
          and black-powder substitutes are legal.
          n. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or
          attached to muzzleloader during muzzleloading seasons.

I am sure you have already seen these but just wanted to make sure. I talked to several guys that are big into the muzzleloader hunting up here in colorado that were all locals and have killed tons of elk with them and all have mentioned one thing that was the same. AVOID POWERBELTS. On deer sized game the say they are great but on elk all of them lost several elk that were good shots or had poor performance and took forever to kill the elk and upon gutting found that the powerbelt exploded and had poor penetration and barely were able to hit a vital. So that said they were shooting all 3 of these with great success.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/35...ain-pack-of-15
          I have never shot an elk with a Powerbelt, but I have shot several deer with them, and I would choose a different bullet for elk. I never had one fail to kill a deer, but they did break up on occasion. I remember one especially, as it broke into three pieces after going through a leg and the heart. Deer was dead, but a 150 lb whitetail is not an elk. Go with a tougher bullet. Even if it doesn't expand much, you will still have a big entrance, and more importantly, a big exit hole. Good luck, elk is delicious !

Comment

Going with 385 gr of solid lead so I am sure it'll do the trick if I can make a shot

Comment

I hunt elk with a 54 caliber TC renegade. The maxi-balls made by TC have worked great for me.

Comment

Well I cannot get the 385 gr to center. My buddy uses the 275 gr so I ordered 2 boxes and going to see if his load will do better than mine

Comment

In my .54 I use 110 grains of fffg goex and a great plain bullet. Lots of lead. I have only shot deer with it though. I have both a Hawken and a Renegade.

Comment

I know they make them in .50 also

Comment

338 gr power belt and triple 7 magnum did the trick for me.

Comment

Honestly the cost keeps me from power belt and I had heard they break up easily on big game? Did yours or were you able to recover?

Comment

100 GRS. OF 3F behind a 410 gr MAXI BALL

Comment

So went and spent some time with my friends lead sled. 5 hots got me zeroed at 50 and 100

I'm guessing that the 385 gr just weren't stabilizing. Idk, but I have my charge now. 100gr pyrodex rs and a 250gr tc maxi

Comment

Working...
                            X