Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
        RH, LE.

Close my left eye to shoot.
        No problems.

Rick
        X2

Comment

RH LE, shut my left eye to shoot my bow, but look goofy as heck shooting a pistol. I lean over and use my left eye and close my right.

Comment

RH, RE here!

Bisch

Comment

Here's a wrench for you - your dominant eye can change throughout your life and is more prevelant in women because of hormonal changes.

I recently talked eye dominance with some expert archers and here's what I found out:

Cross and co-dominant shooters should always shoot with their dominant side, not eye. This goes against the long standing practice of the opposite. Your body has already learned to function properly with the co dominance. And, shooting sports are about harmony with body, mind and spirit. If you are forcing your weak side to act dominant you are messing up your body and mind harmony.

The way to deal with it is to have corrective surgery - not an option for 99% of us. Or, use eye wear that will weaken your dominate eye so your visual focus will be in harmony with your dominant side. Do not use a patch - it will make things much worse.

instead, use non-magnifiying eye wear with frosted Scotch tape across the small vision part - don't cover the whole eye piece. The tape (or vaseline, chap stick, string wax) should only be about dime to nickle sized and in the spot you use when shooting. This method allows the dominant eye to see around and provide depth perception but keeps it from taking over the center focus. Make sure the eye wear bridge doesn't block your vision. I prefer eye wear like safety glasses without a bridge. Some people only need sunglasses with the weaker eye lense removed.

Several companies in England provide an aluminim stick on screen that will prevent the dominant eye from taking over but you can see through it well enough to not realize it is there. It costs about $30 US, shipped. Google Aluminim screen for eye dominance.

Comment

Dominance changes a lot in kids too. My oldest is 10 now and she is left eye but used to be right eye.

I am right handed, left eyed...Have been shooting bows lefty for 20 years after shooting right handed as kid and young adult. Still shoot guns righty.

Comment

RH LE here, been shooting Left handed for 42 years. No way I would even try to switch at this point, although it is a huge pain to find LH bows in shops to try out. Since 1991, I have bought one bow off the rack every other one has been special ordered.

Comment

I guess I'm co dominate, I started noticing it last year.... My father started me around shooting sports and archery very young and reinforced shooting with both eyes open on everything. I even shoot through scopes with both eyes open. I really started to realize it late last year after playing with the idea of gap shooting, well I never could get my setup to shoot down the middle without actually tuning for it and I didn't care to change my set up at the time. I'd try putting my point on something and I'd shoot them hard left every time. I gave up really putting any effort into the gap thing but do believe I have some kinda co dominance eye thing going on

Comment

RH, LE and shoot right or left but a little better consistency lefty

Comment

Isn't eye dominance about which eye controls your "hand-eye" coordination and not about which eye has better vision?

I'm RH LE. Shot right handed for a number of years and switched to left. Best thing I could have done for my shooting. BTW my left eye is visually weaker but it controls where I point when I concentrate on my spot.

Comment

RH and LE. Do everything RH.

Comment

over the last 8 years of teaching archery i have seen everything from RH RE, LH LE, to RH LE, LE RH and none you just have to figure out what is going to work for you and go with it everyone is diffrent.

Comment

RH LE dominant and too big a clutz with my left hand to consider changing from shooting RH. The eye dominance check us the first thing I do when I strutting a beginner. For me:

Compound- who cares? I estimate range, draw and close my left eye.

Trad- close left eye and anchor with right pointer finger to the right side if my nostril. Arrow us directly under my right eye and gap shoot.

Shotgun- if I can set up in blind or boat so birds fly right to left, I leave both eyes open so it adds an automatic lead into my shot. Otherwise a piece of tape on the left lens to block a small part if my field of view.

Comment

When I shoot shotguns as a left eyed righty shooter, I put a piece of scotch tape or a dab of cbapstick on my glasses over my lefy eye and it helps a bunch. I should probably bite the bullet and shoot shotguns lefty.

Comment

Working...
                                X