No announcement yet.

Let’s talk about mid-priced binoculars!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive used 2 pair of Nikon actions 10x50 for the past 12 years.... about 6 years ago I fogot I had the first pair in my lap and hopped out of the truck... they didnt break apart but they now see cross eyed... I went to academy and bought another pair for 100 that day. have been with those for about 6 years now...

Recently I got the chance to look through James's (saltwater) Vortex Binocs and they are awesome... I cant justify the need for them myself when my Nikons are 1/6th of the price and do everything I have ever wanted them to do... But the Vortex glass is VERY clear!

Comment

I prefer the 10X.....I want to see all the subtle pieces and parts of the antlers before I make a decision. Using a bow, if I am concerned about light transmission, then it is too late to shoot anyway. Besides with today's glass, light transmission is great in a 10X....the difference with an 8X is usually nil.

Comment

Check these out! They are a great piece of glass for the price!!!

Comment

Vortex makes great glass. But don't overlook the 6x32 power binoculars. I will probably never buy another 8x again.

Leupold Katami 6x32 is my favorite overall glass for bowhunting. Very bright, very easy to handle in one hand. I've used a set of small Zeiss for years, and these are far superior. They cost about $350 online. Vortex also makes a set of 6x32, but it is a bit bigger than the Katamis.

When you hand them to people, they won't believe the quality and brightness of the image from such a small form factor. They never realize that they're 6x until you tell them. I don't think you need anything more unless you're doing spot and stalk over long distances.

Comment

Here is the 6x32 Leupold:

Here is the 6x32 Vortex:

Don't think you could go wrong with either...You'd save some money...And I suspect you'd find that the smaller size is more user friendly for bowhunting, one handed glassing, and better overall than the larger (darker, IMO) 8x binoculars.

Comment

I have the 8x32 Viper HD's and the 10x42 Razor HD's

I like how compact and power the 8's are in the tree and low light preformance is fantastic.

I like how ergonomic the chassis is and how well it seats in my hands.

The twist out eye cups are great as well for finding the perfect eye relief, and since they are adjustable makes it alot easier to customize to you.

The center focus is somewhat slowm which is what I liked, becuase then you don't speed past your perfect focus point.

Keep in mind that all binocs are going to suit you, only how you intend to use them.
              This is critical in taking into consideration which ones that you are looking to buy.
              In the woods I like to utilize smaller mag and objectives and concetrate on sections when I scan.
              Because it is so dense clarifying is more difficult on optics with higher magnification.
              If I hunting in the plains or where the landscape is not as dense, then I would use something with more mag and begin glassing.

Vortex has several products that are very nice and hard to beat how cometitive their prices. are.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                a friend recv'd this pair of binos for Xmas as I was very impressed .... great deal at $249 for ED glass

8 x 42 is the only way i would go .... Bushnell 8x42mm Legend Ultra HD Binoculars

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars...binoculars.cfm

Features:

■ED Prime Glass
                ■Ultra Wide Band Coating
                ■Rainguard HD water-repellent lens coating
                ■Ultra wide field-of-view
                ■Long eye-relief
                ■Lightweight, magnesium chassis
                ■Waterproof/fogproof
                ■Soft touch grips
                ■Locking diopter
                I bought these last summer and am very impressed with the clarity. Also came with a one year money back quarantee. I haven't had much opportunity to use them in the field so can't speak to ruggedness. One concern I have is that the adjustments seem a little too easy to operate, possibly causing the need to constantly refocus but, as stated, I don't yet have much experience with them.

Good luck with your choice.

Comment

i have been looking for close to the same for my muley hunt.
                  i compared everything from the nikon monarchs to swaros side by side and the vortex really stood out....the vipers were awsome, but for the money the diamondbacks were excellent and you cant beat the warranty....i was actually shopping for some 10x42 zeiss but the vortex had me sold....i was quite impressed.
                  i decided on a pair of the diamonback 12x50 and i will purchase the doubler along with the tripod adapter, that covers 2 different needs for under 420....awsome glass and i would recomend them....
                  like smart, i need the extra magnification, when feild scoring a deer, especially a big muley i need to know if there is anything broker off or any extra junk as it cannot be under 180"
                  i feel confident the vortex binos will suit my needs in a nice compact package that wont hurt my neck and shoulder in the miles walking in the sand..

the nikon ATB 10x42 were also nice and they had several pairs in the buda cabelas bargain cave for under $240

Comment

Originally posted by Pistol View Post

I am on the Alpen Optics pro staff so of course I would recommend that brand, but it is't on your list. It is an American owned company and I would match the quality to any pair of Swarvoski or Zeiss made.

You don't know what you aren't seeing until you see what you didn't see before!
                    I will second Alpen, I've owned 2 pairs and it's hard to tell the difference in them from high end optics, especially for the money. Beware there is a comapny called Alpine, not the same by any means.

Comment

I have the Nikon Monarch 10X42, and the Vortec Diamonback 10X42. Both are well within your budget, and both great glass. The Vortec out perform any other glass within $200 of them.

My next pair....if ever needed would be another pair of Vortec. Also far better built than Nikon.

Comment

Meopta's are good glass- Czech made, same quality of glass as zeiss or swaro's just different coating. I own all 3 brands and can say the difference is very minimal-

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                          Meopta's are good glass- Czech made, same quality of glass as zeiss or swaro's just different coating. I own all 3 brands and can say the difference is very minimal-
                          ill second this

if their binos are anything like their rifle scopes they are fantastic glass!!

Comment

All of you that say Vortex are better than any other- have you looked through all the others, including Alpen? I am not dishing on Vortex- I can't compare them because they don't get narrow enough for my pretty blue eyes

So I will not say if Vortex or Alpen is better- I will say Alpen is very good and I have compared them to Zeiss and Swarovski binos of the same tech specs (prices can't be compared). Alpen is just as good as they are for half they price. The glass is amazingly clear and gathers a lot of light in low light conditions. www.AlpenOptics.com

Comment

I have been and tried out lots of different ones since starting this thread.

Tonight I settled on the Steiner Merlins in 8x42

I really wanted to buy the Bushnell Ultra HD's (attractive price and good reviews), but these absolutely blew them out of the water. The difference was dramatic.

The one I never did get to try was the Bushnell Elite. Nobody had them in stock.

The Nikon Monarch X was very close in picture quality to the Steiners, but was nearly $100 more. I felt like they edged out the Vortex as well.

I think I'll be happy with these for a long time to come.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Comment

Leopold "Green" rings are really good,and around 300$ when I bought them,3 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X