Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the coldest weather you've hunted in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- 5 wind chill I think was -20 Ohio Valley! Had to hold your hand over your mouth and breath to melt the ice cicles!

Comment

17 degrees in 1977. Rock Springs area.

Comment

-26 in North East Montana for duck hunting.
        Snot will freeze before you can wipe it off and my 870 firing pine froze inside the bolt.
        Its cold enough for the edges of the river to freeze.

Also hunt every year in northern Minnesota in a tree stand in temps in the single digits or low teens. Its all about having the right clothing and gear. I love hunting hunting up north.

The coldest I've ever been was in a tree in east Texas improperly dressed for 45 degree weather.
        Last edited by backwoods; 12-07-2017, 10:37 AM.

Comment

My coldest day fluctuated between 6 and 16 degrees in Plains Kansas on a Pheasant hunt. We had to literally kick the birds out of the rows and snow drifts to get a shot on them. Lost count of how many birds the dogs just grabbed because they refused to fly off.

Comment

Sat on a stand one November Kansas morning back in 2014.

1 deg!!!

Comment

Did an all day sit in Nebraska where the temp heading to the stand was 12 degrees and the high was 17 degrees. I hated it! I did a late season spot and stalk hunt for muleys in Colorado and the temps first thing in morning were -2 to -3.

Comment

-5 in the canyons of the Panhandle. I was unzipping my coat to let some heat out after climbing around in the canyons. Thankfully, there wasn't much wind that day. When I'd sit and glass, I'd definitely keep everything bundled up.

The next day (same temps with 20mph north wind) I was out hunting coyotes. Shot one and went about 100 yards from the truck to retrieve it. I figured it wouldn't take long, so I didn't put my gloves on. MISTAKE! I couldn't feel my hands when I got back in the truck. I drove about 10 miles back into town with the coyote in the back of my truck. When I got to town, he was frozen solid and stuck to the truck bed (he bled a little before he froze).
                Last edited by Shane; 12-07-2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Ive broke ice and put blue food coloring on ice to hunt ducks. It wasn't horrible as we had a diesel heater on both sides of blind once we got the spread out. Illinois

Comment

-2 on a late cow hunt in Nevada.

Comment

-3 in the Texas Panhandle.

Comment

17 degrees with solid ice on ground

Comment

12 degrees in Van Horn. That was out of the wind. No clue what the windchill was.

Comment

20* outside Camp Wood. Brought a thin plastic water bottle to the stand and it froze almost solid. Halfway back to camp, we had to stop and build a fire to warm up.

Comment

17* with ~15mph north wind (unknown wind chill) and spitting sleet/freezing rain while duck hunting at Cooper lake. Had to use the boat to break 2" of ice to set decoys. Run the boat up on the ice sheet and jump up and down in the boat to get the ice to break. Slide the large chunks of ice under the existing unbroken ice. Standing in mid-thigh water to hunt, had to walk a lap every once in a while in the decoy spread to break ice to give the ducks a place to land. The dog stands were frozen solid against the trees, ice had covered the chain so thick you could barely wrap your hand around it... We had to leave them there until the next weekend. The dogs were completely covered in ice. That thermos of coffee and bottle of Canadian Mist didn't last too long that day! One of the dogs bolted off her dog stand for no reason... She swam straight to the boat, climbed in amongst the camo netting and burlap, got on top of my big dry box and took a dump We didn't realize it until we got back to the boat. Yes, it was frozen to the dry box lol. With the help of a stick, it was removed in one swift strike. When we were finished hunting, had to use the butt stocks of our gun to break the ice from around the boat because it had frozen in place. One of the most memorable duck hunts I've ever been on. We slaughtered the ducks, straight greenheads with greyduck kickers for all 4 of us

Comment

Dumbest cold weather hunt I've done was 28* with a 20mph wind and freezing rain. Gun was frozen to the tripod I was sitting in when the best buck I've killed to date came in. Luckily he didn't hear the clank when I popped it free.

Comment

Working...
                                X