what are the negatives on Mobile Homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are the negatives on Mobile Homes

I am trying to build a house and I dont want to spend 100K. I cant seem to figure out how I can get a 1500 sq ft house for under that. Been looking into a double wide mobile home for 50 to 60K. These days what are the real downsides? everything I see seems to show that they are built to the same or higher specs than site built homes.

I used to build the sidewalls for oakwood homes. We broke a 80ft wall in 3 places. We put it back on the house overlayed the sheet rock and spliced the fram within osha specs

Comment

Your flooring can shift over time ita not the same quality as a regular house

Comment

In 20 years you will have an old mobile home worth considerably less than you paid for it compared to a house worth as much or more than it cost you.

Comment

Did this one for under $100k and it's 1800 SF inside.

Mueller package.

And we lived in a mobile home for 34 years and several hurricanes before this one was built. Ike blew the cover over our mobile home down through the roof on it, insurance totaled it.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ighlight=house
          Last edited by Tmag; 05-11-2015, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure of the cost, but I would look into modular homes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
              Did this one for under $100k and it's 1800 SF inside.

Mueller package.
              This. Was going to suggest looking into the metal building route. Know lots of people who have done it and not spent a ton of money.

Comment

Tornados and hurricanes....

Comment

They depreciate in value. Your land value may go up, but that trailer will never be worth more than you paid for it.

Also, if you sell later, many banks won't finance an older trailer if the land is worth more than the house.

Comment

On the positive side you get to grow a mullet

Comment

I work for clayton homes in Nacogdoches, would be glad to help answer any questions. feel free to pm me, and ill do the best that I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Brooks View Post
                        I'm not sure of the cost, but I would look into modular homes.
                        only really need to concider modular if going to be putting home inside the city limits...
                        now a days, there are manufactured homes being built that rival that of a sight build home...2x6 exterior studs, 2x4 interior studs, full t&t, studs 16" of center, vents in ceiling, stainless apps, plex plumbing, granite...

Comment

They blow away, and don't hold resale value!

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
                            They depreciate in value. Your land value may go up, but that trailer will never be worth more than you paid for it.

Also, if you sell later, many banks won't finance an older trailer if the land is worth more than the house.
                            X2. Along with tornados
                            Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 05-11-2015, 10:27 AM.

Comment

if the house is put on a concrete pad, or even concrete runners, the likelihood of blowing away is a lot less...this isn't Kansas any more toto...also, if the house can be titled as real property, and will hold value longer, similar to site built home

Comment

Working...
                              X