Personal property when buying a home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal property when buying a home?

My brother just signed papers to close on his house today. 8 hours later he gets a text from his real estate agent saying the sellers dad forgot to come get the refrigerator. The house was completely empty except for the appliances. He was never told the fridge wasn't included, but he never asked either. Do the sellers have a right to get the fridge since the papers are already signed?

Who knows... I'd let them have it.

Comment

No. Its his fridge. Sounds to me like it was an after thought. He now owns the house and the property. If the a/c goes out tonight did the seller also forget to replace that? No, its in your brothers dime.

Comment

sounds like a communication problem. What does the agent say. That should be listed in buy sell.

Comment

Been there done that! I agree let them have it...........not a big deal to be neighborly. When we sold 3 years ago we had a water fountain in the backyard we were coming back to get the next morning and the buyer said no....(which was their right).......I will never forget what our agent said about something so petty.

Comment

I backed out of a purchase for a 5000 sq ft house in Arkansas that was in a historical district. The sellers went in after I signed and took out 5 antique water closets and some antique fixtures....they owned an antique shop in town. I guess they were expected me to take it like Richard Simmons. I told them put it all back the way it was or I'm out. Sent letter from my attorney and got my earnest money back.
            annoying, but there are plenty of other houses out there.
            That being said, if it would have been a refrigerator that they decided to grab....I probably would have gone ahead with the deal. You're call really.

Comment

If it wasn't listed that they were taking it with them it's your brother's plain and simple. Or ask for compensation to buy a new one. That's shady.

Comment

There was plenty of time for them to negotiate for the appliances before closing. Tell them to pound sand.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
                  Who knows... I'd let them have it.
                  This

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by elkbowhunter View Post
                    sounds like a communication problem. What does the agent say. That should be listed in buy sell.
                    I didn't see it anywhere. This is his rodeo and mine too so I have no idea what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Stalker View Post
                      If it wasn't listed that they were taking it with them it's your brother's plain and simple. Or ask for compensation to buy a new one. That's shady.
                      Yea I found it odd they had 30 days to close and take it and didn't get it or even mention anything about it until 8 hours after he signed papers. If they would have told him before it wouldn't be a big deal, just kind of weird. I didn't know if they have a certain time period after to remove anything they forgot.

Comment

Do you need a fridge? We just bought property, it had a small fenced in area for where a feeder was. After we signed we went back out there to open a beer and celebrate. The fence and t-posts were gone (that is all that was out there). I could not help but think, "really? I was going to use that." I planned on using it, now I can't. Thought it came with the property, guess it did not.

Comment

Originally posted by KMO8204 View Post
                          Yea I found it odd they had 30 days to close and take it and didn't get it or even mention anything about it until 8 hours after he signed papers. If they would have told him before it wouldn't be a big deal, just kind of weird. I didn't know if they have a certain time period after to remove anything they forgot.
                          Id tell them to hug a root. But thats just me. Nickles add up to dollars

Comment

You have a right to keep it. If it isn't a big deal for you to keep the fridge I would let them have it. I had something similar on the house we bought (foreclosure) There was a john boat in the garage and a couple of weeks after we moved in the previous owner came by and asked if he could have the john boat back. I didn't really need it and figured he did so let him take it.

Comment

Originally posted by bbt82z View Post
                              Do you need a fridge? We just bought property, it had a small fenced in area for where a feeder was. After we signed we went back out there to open a beer and celebrate. The fence and t-posts were gone (that is all that was out there). I could not help but think, "really? I was going to use that." I planned on using it, now I can't. Thought it came with the property, guess it did not.
                              Well he was planning on using it. He's thinking about telling them they can come get it. We were just curious if they could actually do that or of it's his. That's just another unexpected expense for him I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X