No announcement yet.

mt. lion alert! wimberley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas lion or is it a chupacabra? Pic taken in the Sam Houston national forest.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post

My expert opinion sees things that tells me its a lion and you can't tell me any different. You're wrong....even though you didn't give your opinion.. Just know that..

Running it by Billy Ray McGhillocutty right now..

Comment

What ever it is, it appears to be wearing glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
          What ever it is, it appears to be wearing glasses.
          That's what I thought.

Comment

Waiting on Forest Hunter for proper identification.

Comment

Flash_Outdoors and I got trail cam pics of a lion (we believe) in the Davy Crockett national forest. Pretty freaky seeing it on cam in a spot you were in 30 minutes later!

Comment

So I’ve just been reading this thread for the entertainment and been trying to stay out of the main argument here but I just can’t hold back any longer. I’m not an expert lion hunter or expert cat hunter but I don’t think you have to be to be able to identify a lion or bob cat. Now I am an avid predator hunter and this year alone have called in and killed 14 bobcats, so I know what a bobcat looks like.
                That being said I believe the photo that Sticks&Strings posted is a bobcat. And I have taken his crappy heavily zoomed in photo that looks like it was taken off a computer screen and tried to clean it up to show the details a little better. I’ve circled the areas where I can see spots on the legs and belly and I think cleaning the image up helps show the light spotting on its back and sides. Keep in mind that this picture looks to be taken in late spring or summer and a bobcats coat is going to be different. I’ve also pointed to where the tail is curled up exactly how a bobcat carries its tail when it walks.
                Y’all can look at my photo and tell me what you think.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1948.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	24531637

Comment

And here is one I killed a few years back that has very light spots. Like the one in question.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1950.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	24531638

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
                    big hairless squirrel

Comment

Originally posted by keatonskidmore View Post
                      So I’ve just been reading this thread for the entertainment and been trying to stay out of the main argument here but I just can’t hold back any longer. I’m not an expert lion hunter or expert cat hunter but I don’t think you have to be to be able to identify a lion or bob cat. Now I am an avid predator hunter and this year alone have called in and killed 14 bobcats, so I know what a bobcat looks like.
                      That being said I believe the photo that Sticks&Strings posted is a bobcat. And I have taken his crappy heavily zoomed in photo that looks like it was taken off a computer screen and tried to clean it up to show the details a little better. I’ve circled the areas where I can see spots on the legs and belly and I think cleaning the image up helps show the light spotting on its back and sides. Keep in mind that this picture looks to be taken in late spring or summer and a bobcats coat is going to be different. I’ve also pointed to where the tail is curled up exactly how a bobcat carries its tail when it walks.
                      [ATTACH]899462[/ATTACH]

Nice work....

Comment

Yeah, this is the problem with this discussion. It turns normally very adept, very skilled people crazy because your mind plays serious tricks on you in the woods. Saying, "I can vouch that if so-and-so said it's a lion, it's a lion!" is meaningless, because even people that spend 100% of their time in the profession make the same errors everyone else does when you throw in shadows, low light, etc. I know S&S personally, and he is as skilled a hunter and outdoorsman as you'll find. But I agree that the picture posted is a bobcat.

As are about 99% of "mountain lion" sightings. It happens to everyone, myself included.

Comment

[ATTACH]899462[/ATTACH]
                          Bingo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
                            Yeah, this is the problem with this discussion. It turns normally very adept, very skilled people crazy because your mind plays serious tricks on you in the woods. Saying, "I can vouch that if so-and-so said it's a lion, it's a lion!" is meaningless, because even people that spend 100% of their time in the profession make the same errors everyone else does when you throw in shadows, low light, etc. I know S&S personally, and he is as skilled a hunter and outdoorsman as you'll find. But I agree that the picture posted is a bobcat.

As are about 99% of "mountain lion" sightings. It happens to everyone, myself included.
                            Exactly, your subconscious mind is telling you it's a mountain lion because you want it to be. We're all guilty of seeing what we want to see. Just like when the sun is just starting to come up and that 180" deer you thought was under the feeder turns out to be blue brush with mesquite behind it lol.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                              I completely understand. Just making fun of people that see a bobcat versus a lion. It's really not clear enough to me to declare either one. Believe what you want. Does it really matter in the long run of things.

I agree with this. Can't really tell either way.

Per google machine melanistic bobcats are only in Florida and spotless ones are extremely rare.
                              Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 03-06-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

[ATTACH]899462[/ATTACH]

I cleaned it up even more. You can clearly see all the spots now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X