No announcement yet.

Kids Rifle Caliber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both the 243 and 7mm08 are a neck down 308. The 243 should have less recoil but I don't think it would be much different if even noticeable. To me one of the best ways to reduce recoil is a heavy gun. Now I don't recommend a heavy gun if your carrying it around alot, but if your just sitting in a stand I would recommend one. Maybe look into a heavy barrel like the Remington 700 varmints. Heavy 26" barrel but I don't think they have that model in 7mm08. Also I've never noticed recoil when shooting deer because my adrenaline is up, but I absolutely hate my 7 mag when at the range.

Sent from my XT1687 using Tapatalk

Comment

Both my kids started with a 25-06 with no issues. Just got my daughter a 7mm-08 and she said it does not kick at all.

Comment

7-08, out of those two.

Comment

With the options of muzzle breaks and heavy rifles there no real caliber limit I have a 11yr old nephew that hunts with me some and shoots my 300win with 165s comfortably. If noise is an issue pick up some electronic headphones off Amazon and your set.

Comment

That 7mm-08 is something that can grow with him. I would shoot the hornady 120 gr light recoil. If I didn't own a .243 this is what my kids would start with.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag_Attack View Post
              22-250. Never need to grow into it because it’s always deadly
              Yep, and when they do want a bigger gun, they'll always have em a bad-ars critter getter. Love some 2fidy. Just use the right piece of lead for the bigger critters.

Comment

It depends on the kid. My oldest boy started with full power 7mm-08 before his 10th birthday. My youngest son just turned 11 and is just now shooting the same gun with reduced recoil loads. What experience does the kid have shooting? Temperament toward hunting and shooting? Size, build, etc... These are all things to consider.

The older boy of mine has been all in for shooting and hunting since he could walk. He was pass shooting ducks and dove at 8 with a 20 gauge, after already working his way through a .410 and 28 gauge by that time. He is also a stout build. My youngest son hasn't been as natural a shooter or as interested and has come along slower. He is also build on a lighter frame. There are as many options as there are shooters, figure out which one fits your particular kid at this point in time and start there.

Comment

i have the cva single shot youth in 7mm 08
                  great lil gun ,nice trigger, decent groups at 100 yds
                  with reduced recoil loads should be fine

cz has a bolt gun in 6.5 grendel worth a look too

Comment

My soon to be 9 y/o daughter started with my AR for her 1st deer.
                    Got her a Mossberg MVP youth 243. Great lil gun for the price. Fits her great,
                    nice adjustable trigger, pretty stock. Knocked down her 2nd deer last year with it.
                    She shoots Rem 100gr core lokts no problem.
                    Last edited by TxRip; 11-24-2017, 09:37 AM.

Comment

I got my 9 year old daughter (who had a very slim build) a .270, put a Limb Savers gel recoil pad on it, and had her use the managed recoil bullets in it. It worked great for her.

Comment

7mm-08 would be my choice

Comment

Simply can't go wrong with a .243 for a youth bolt action.

If you like AR's it's a great excuse to build a 6.8spc rig. That adjustable stock is great for kids.

Comment

Like others have said a lot depends on the kid, level of experience shooting, build....

The 243 has been the go to for years for youth guns but if looking for lower recoil the AR in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC make sense. If wanting a single shot for them get an adjustable gas block and turn the gas off. recoil will be slightly more but less than a 243 and the adjustable stock goes a long way for proper fit and can be a lifetime gun.

Howa and CZ offer bolt actions in the Grendel and the Howa is available with a youth stock and there have been some good deals on it lately. Whittaker's has had them marked down very well recently.

For the shot at deer they will not notice the recoil much but when practicing they certainly will. Good ear protection is a must, the noise is a big part of the problem for lots of kids shooting. Advantage there to the Grendel and 6.5 burning less powder is another good reason for the smaller calibers.

I like the 7mm-08 over the 243 for my own hunting but it may be a little much for some kids and be a piece of cake for other. I know some the 243 was above their tolerance level while another kid shot the 30-06 fine.

Checked Whittaker site and no Grendels at this time but they do have the Howa Mini in 7.62X39 for 349.99
                            Last edited by kmon; 11-25-2017, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Just bought my 9 year old the CVA Hunter from academy in 7mm-08. Awesome shooting gun and it’s already put down 2 hogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Out of those two .243.

I would personally go 223 or 22-250. Always a use for that caliber and much more recoil friendly for kids.

Comment

Working...
                                X