stand setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stand setup

Just curious as to what the most popular stand set ups are for traditional guys. Tree stand, tripod, pop-up, brush blind?

-CH

it depends on where you are and what you like. to me it feels more like hunting if i am in a tree stand. but in south Texas i mostly hunted out of ground blinds because there aren't trees big enough to climb in.

a good hunter adapts to different situations and hunts the deer where they are, if you see a well used trail and cant put up a tree stand, use a tripod. or if there aren't trees sometimes a brush blind is how you must hunt.

i am starting to use ladder stands more and more now because they are easy to setup, easy to move and can go in trees too small for a regular tree stand. plus they are super cheap. remember deer are conditioned to look for predators on the ground so getting a few feet off the ground in south Texas made all the difference the last year i was there, and i am talking 4-5 ft.

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
      it depends on where you are and what you like. to me it feels more like hunting if i am in a tree stand. but in south Texas i mostly hunted out of ground blinds because there aren't trees big enough to climb in.

a good hunter adapts to different situations and hunts the deer where they are, if you see a well used trail and cant put up a tree stand, use a tripod. or if there aren't trees sometimes a brush blind is how you must hunt.

i am starting to use ladder stands more and more now because they are easy to setup, easy to move and can go in trees too small for a regular tree stand. plus they are super cheap. remember deer are conditioned to look for predators on the ground so getting a few feet off the ground in south Texas made all the difference the last year i was there, and i am talking 4-5 ft.
      What he sais sounds pretty good!

Bisch

Comment

X2 good post.

Comment

Im in a ladder stand, and my wife in a popup, she dose not like hights!

Comment

I am going to add a little bit. I have become more fond of tent blinds the last few years. It allows me to video, have a second person there, eat and drink with out detection, and move around a little (get stiff now that I am a more seasoned individual), and generally more comfortable (better chair and out of the weather). If all else is the same....meaning blind works as well as tripod or tree stand, I will choose the ground blind most often.

Comment

Im a ground blind guy but will hunt out of trees if needed. I agree with Chunky, I can get away with more in a pop up blind.

Comment

I like both the tripod and the tree stand for Bow hunting. Being in the air in my opinion helps a ton.

Comment

I'm a ground hunter.. that's what I was brung up with and I've never taken to the tree stand concept.. seems to work from what I can tell..

Comment

Here in the hill country I mostly use a pop up. I also like the shorter (10 footer) tripods. Very hard to find a good tree for. Ladder stand

Comment

Over the years I've hunted mostly from treestands but as mentioned with all the seasoning I just can't sit them like I once could. So last year I tried a ground blind for the first time but never felt comfortable in it and I got burned twice also. Was back in a treestand after only a few days. This year I've gone to tripods as they are more comfortable than most treestands, we will see how they work out here in a few weeks.

Comment

I hunt mostly ground blinds but I prefer the shots offered from an elevated stand. An exit hole in the bottom of the chest leaves a better blood trail and from an elevated stand you can sometimes watch the animal go down or at least get a good bearing on the direction it went.
                        A ground blind offers better comfort in cold weather and better concealment of your movements plus it helps control your scent.
                        I have both setups and use them according to the wind and weather.
                        6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other

Comment

I like tree stands I put them 16ft up. They can be a tough sit on us old guys but we got salt.

Comment

of our 5 stands 4 are tripods. 3 are 7 foot and one 12 footer,
                            stick a 7 footer in a cedar tree and hunt

Comment

All depends on the hunt and what it requires. This year in Colorado I hunted from tree stand, ground blinds, spot & stalk, and a pit blind. My hunting set ups at home most stand loactions have a tripod, or tree stand with a popup blind. Just to hot to hunt in the popups in Oct.

Comment

Working...
                              X