No announcement yet.

Where do we stand on Covid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We stand where we always have- It is a new virus. It can be nasty as grizz explains. In some cases it can be fatal. It does not really effect our children. One day we will have a possible vaccine and medicines to take once a person does contract it. I just treat it like everything else. I wash my hands, keep fingers out of face, and cover my mouth and nose when I sneeze or cough. I don’t wear a mask and I don’t wear gloves, I shake hands with people I know, hug family members and close friends. I have not been infected that I know of- If I do I hope that it is mild. If it’s fatal I have lived my life right and been good to others. I’m going to take advantage and enjoy the remaining days I have on the green side of the grass

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
      For all of you that think this is overblown I just spent 16 days in the hospital with this and it's not. This is the worst I ever felt and it did a lot of damage quickly to my lungs. Hopefully no long term damage but nobody knows at this point. There is a lot they don't know and they are trying to find out about this stuff. I'm just glad I didn't have it seven months ago when they didn't know anything.
      I believe the potential severity exists (your case as an example). What I don't believe is the doomsday/end of the world scenario being pushed by the media making it seem like you're going to end up in the hospital or dead if you get it. The vast majority of people who contract the virus won't have an issue (even going off the "official" numbers). That's just the reality of the situation.

Comment

For all of you that think this is overblown I just spent 16 days in the hospital with this and it's not. This is the worst I ever felt and it did a lot of damage quickly to my lungs. Hopefully no long term damage but nobody knows at this point. There is a lot they don't know and they are trying to find out about this stuff. I'm just glad I didn't have it seven months ago when they didn't know anything.

I you have a full and speedy recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One thing I know is that the vast majority of America is not using Covid as the wake up call it should be. Being overweight, sedentary and unhealthy puts you more at risk. Everyone's answer to that isn't to eat better, exercise and to improve overall health, its to wear a worthless freakin' mask.

Comment

Originally posted by JMKro View Post
            I believe the potential severity exists (your case as an example). What I don't believe is the doomsday/end of the world scenario being pushed by the media making it seem like you're going to end up in the hospital or dead if you get it. The vast majority of people who contract the virus won't have an issue (even going off the "official" numbers). That's just the reality of the situation.
            I think they have learned a lot since this has started and I was a beneficiary of that. I think that is why deaths are going down. The Docs I dealt with in the hospital really believe it and look at cases like mine as an affirmation of that.

I will say that I agree that we shouldn't cease our living because of it. It ticks me off when I hear "it's Trump's fault" from the Dems. I think the response was as good as it could have been and still believe it could have been a lot worse if they wouldn't have taken the actions that they did.

It's easy for the other party to sit there and throw stones. They added nothing to the solution.

I will be voting for Trump again because I don't blame him for my ills and still believe he can do great things in the next four years.

Comment

Originally posted by JMKro View Post
              Well said

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                One thing I know is that the vast majority of America is not using Covid as the wake up call it should be. Being overweight, sedentary and unhealthy puts you more at risk. Everyone's answer to that isn't to eat better, exercise and to improve overall health, its to wear a worthless freakin' mask.
                Maybe but age and sex also have a lot to do with it. ACE2 receptors, what Covid latches onto, according to what I was told, become more pronounced in men and more so as we get older. Docs told me in their hospital system that they were seeing 2-1 men to women in the Covid wards and the women were generally recovering more quickly.

I can't get any younger and change my sex so the two main factors were beyond my control. Being overweight, well a lot of that was taken care of the lwst few weeks.

One of the guys that works for me had it the same time I did and was pretty sick. He finally had to go to the ER after nine days and I think he might have had a couple of nights in the hospital. He is 29 without any health issues.

Freaking precautions other than staying home are useless. I was at work almost every day since February and took the precautions but not everybody does. I will be working from home for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Maybe but age and sex also have a lot to do with it. ACE2 receptors, what Covid latches onto, according to what I was told, become more pronounced in men and more so as we get older. Docs told me in their hospital system that they were seeing 2-1 men to women in the Covid wards and the women were generally recovering more quickly.

I can't get any younger and change my sex so the two main factors were beyond my control. Being overweight, well a lot of that was taken care of the lwst few weeks.

One of the guys that works for me had it the same time I did and was pretty sick. He finally had to go to the ER after nine days and I think he might have had a couple of nights in the hospital. He is 29 without any health issues.

Freaking precautions other than staying home are useless. I was at work almost every day since February and took the precautions but not everybody does. I will be working from home for the foreseeable future.
                  Do you know where you contracted it?
                  Were you wearing mask as a preventive?

Glad to hear your doing better!

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post

I know you didn't ask me, but I figured I'd answer what I know about my case of Covid.

Yes, I know exactly where I contracted it. Yes, I wore my mask(cloth mask with a carbon filter installed). Yes, I used hand sanitizer after the close contact with the person(74% as I always do).

No, I don't think masks, hand washing, and whatever else are going to stop this virus after my bout with Covid. I did everything the CDC told me to do. The virus moves too effectively for it to go away.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                      Dude, how many times I've said this when discussing Covid with other people. Instead of worrying about not getting it, why not prepare as if you're going to get it (vitamins, hydration, rest, etc.)?

Comment

I think they have learned a lot since this has started and I was a beneficiary of that. I think that is why deaths are going down. The Docs I dealt with in the hospital really believe it and look at cases like mine as an affirmation of that.

I will say that I agree that we shouldn't cease our living because of it. It ticks me off when I hear "it's Trump's fault" from the Dems. I think the response was as good as it could have been and still believe it could have been a lot worse if they wouldn't have taken the actions that they did.

It's easy for the other party to sit there and throw stones. They added nothing to the solution.

I will be voting for Trump again because I don't blame him for my ills and still believe he can do great things in the next four years.
                        Same. I'm of the opinion that the government isn't responsible for keeping us safe from a virus to begin with, so I definitely don't agree with people saying he didn't do enough.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post

We had a reported case in the building the week before. They didn't say what floor but if they were using our common facilities it could have come from there.

Every time we went outside my office I had a mask on. Washing hands continuously. Stand at my office door to talk to me (more than six feet). The guy that works for me that got it was in a cubicle on the other side of the hallway outside my office. That was probably 15 feet and we could talk without moving. My wife's work didn't have anyone that came up positive so we are pretty sure it didn't come from her work.

The only places I have been are work and home with the exception of going to lunch with some former employees of mine the Friday before I came up positive. None of them tested positive and we wore masks at the restaurant except when eating.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Comment

Hey Grizz can you give us more details on your treatment regimen? Drugs used, etc.

Very happy to hear you are on the mend.

Comment

Originally posted by Laszlo View Post
                              Hey Grizz can you give us more details on your treatment regimen? Drugs used, etc.

Very happy to hear you are on the mend.
                              Steroids immediately when I hit the ICU. Still taking a course orally. Antibiotic cocktail for probably ten days for any potential infection. Blood thinners as a preventative for clotting. BP was high most of the time I was there even though my BP is usually good. Still on those. Anti heart attack pill Carvedilol that I am still taking even though I don't have heart issues.

On day 2 they gave me plasma from a recovered covid patient and started me on a five day course of Remdesiver (?).

They also gave me something for my stomach to keep ulcers in check. Probably gave me other stuff but that is what I remember.

Will be glad to finish
                              the steroid course on Saturday. It really is messing with my head even though it is a weaker dose than what they gave me by shot in the hospital.

Comment

Working...
                              X