Travel Trailer vs Motorhome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Trailer vs Motorhome

We just had a baby, so three kids. Gonna be tight taking trips in my F-250 and pulling the travel trailer. Was thinking of trading my truck and trailer in for a diesel pusher. We have a suburban that sits around, only reason I have a diesel truck is to pull the travel trailer.

Anyone made that move? Who has a gas Type A? Diesel pusher?

We really want to do big trips all over the country, seems like we’d be more comfortable in a coach.

Just looking for advice.

I’m in the same boat. New baby(3 kids). Have a 32’ trailer and a 13 Duramax dually but could never get rid of my pickup for traveling. Wife has a Expedition limited for road trips but will tough it out for going camping. Have rode in a few coaches and it is nice but wouldn’t give up my pickup for one. I do use my pickup everyday though.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
      We just had a baby, so three kids. Gonna be tight taking trips in my F-250 and pulling the travel trailer. Was thinking of trading my truck and trailer in for a diesel pusher. We have a suburban that sits around, only reason I have a diesel truck is to pull the travel trailer.

Anyone made that move? Who has a gas Type A? Diesel pusher?

We really want to do big trips all over the country, seems like we’d be more comfortable in a coach.

Just looking for advice.
      Do you have a small vehicle to pull behind the pusher for day trips from your camp ground? A lot of people buy small SUV's, jeeps, compact cars and stuff so they have transportation while in the camp ground.

Comment

Originally posted by IvoryRoot View Post
        I’m in the same boat. New baby(3 kids). Have a 32’ trailer and a 13 Duramax dually but could never get rid of my pickup for traveling. Wife has a Expedition limited for road trips but will tough it out for going camping. Have rode in a few coaches and it is nice but wouldn’t give up my pickup for one. I do use my pickup everyday though.
        Well I was thinking about driving our Suburban everyday (it sits a lot, wife has a car to commute) and paying cash for an old truck. It was the same thought though. Just not sure I want a truck payment and a coach payment.

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
          Do you have a small vehicle to pull behind the pusher for day trips from your camp ground? A lot of people buy small SUV's, jeeps, compact cars and stuff so they have transportation while in the camp ground.
          We do, wife drives 70 Miles round trip to her business everyday, so we will always have a car.

Comment

Motorhome cost more insurance and more upkeep. Batteries, tires, etc. They are great but remember you are without a vehicle unless you pull one.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
              Motorhome cost more insurance and more upkeep. Batteries, tires, etc. They are great but remember you are without a vehicle unless you pull one.
              For sure but not a huge concern, it’s more a less a wash between a trailer and a diesel pickup in my opinion.

Comment

Motor home is the way to travel and trailers are the way to stay once you get there. Decide if you're going to spend more time on the road or more time in a campground

Comment

We've done both and the answer for us was motorhome. More maintenance for sure but the trade offs were worth it for us. Road time is much more pleasant. Set up is much easier (spot it, hit the auto jacks, run slides out, connect elect. water, tanks, done. 15 minutes, tops). I towed my Tahoe and it's no big deal. Did I mention I have a diesel pusher listed in the classifieds now?

Comment

We bought a new gas mh in 01/17. When dealing with the salesman, he mentioned that there are some good deals on a diesel pusher a couple of years old, but she wouldn't have anything to do with a used unit. What we've learned in the last year is that new units, regardless of the brand, have numerous issues the day they leave the factory. The first months of owning a new unit, you and the service folks become very familiar with each other. Should have listened to the salesman. Go to IRV2 forum. a good site for info. Good luck.........

Comment

in the same boat. (following)

Comment

We went from a small bumper pull to a 40' Tiffin Phaeton several years ago. Kids were in elementary and middle school. I've got a flexible schedule - we used the pusher tons. Got to see a lot of America. Didn't use a toad often, most of the time we used Enterprise when we arrived at a destination. On the road, travel is fantastic with the mh. Family can move about, do what they want and you still make miles. The cost is definitely more with the MH. We bought a used pusher (low 100's) but storage and maintenance is expensive. Tires, batteries and oil changes.

When the kiddos hit high school, our schedule and availability changed significantly. Weekends were now full of commitments, games and practice. MH just set. Sitting MH breakdown. After a year of little use, I liquidated. I sold it though PPL here in Houston.

I will own another.....someday. Right now we have a 32' bumper pull. Easy to pull, use it for tailgates, hunting and camping. It doesn't travel in style like our Phaeton, but it sure is affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tracyusaf07 View Post
                          in the same boat. (following)
                          ditto. need to sell 104 acres first between crawford and valley mills if anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                            Motor home is the way to travel and trailers are the way to stay once you get there. Decide if you're going to spend more time on the road or more time in a campground
                            This.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
                              ditto. need to sell 104 acres first between crawford and valley mills if anyone is interested.
                              I'd like to hear about the 104 acres

Comment

Working...
                              X