Need help planning for a turkey hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help planning for a turkey hunt

I really want to try a turkey hunt this year (with my black widow of course!) Any recommendations on day leases, ranches, etc? Looking especially for ones that are good for a first timer, trad bow, etc? Over the weekend, I was going trough some of my gear and I do have a pop-up and stool that I can use if it is a DIY place (of course, I've never tried to call in turkey's etc....)

If you get a lead on a place to hunt, let me know. I can show you what you need to know about turkey hunting. I used to hunt turkey back east a lot before I moved to Houston. I can show you how and when to use each turkey sound, and the different methods - Voice, diaphragm, box, slate, etc.

Comment

I started turkey hunting not long ago. Only thing I took besides shotty and turkey ammo was my normal camo, face mask and a push pull call. It was the most fun I've had on a hunt in a long time. Ended up calling in a big ol' gobbler and my son took him within 15 yards. 10 3/4 beard, 1 1/8" & 1 1/4" spurs. The next years only thing I bought additional was a box call and learned to use it and a hen decoy. I just find a good spot in the shade with good backdrop facing the direction you think they will come. Really not as hard as I thought people made it out to be but its more than than I thought to!

p.s. Oh I did end up buying a leafy poncho as well.
      Last edited by BuckRage; 01-11-2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Last edited by BuckRage; 01-11-2016, 05:16 PM.

Comment

If I remember right BobG on here had some turkey hints available.

Comment

I don't know of a good place, but if you find one...I can cut the learning curve way down, as i did everything wrong possible, twice, before I started killing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
              I don't know of a good place, but if you find one...I can cut the learning curve way down, as i did everything wrong possible, twice, before I started killing them.
              We need to figure out how to go on a Turkey hunt together then. Where did you learn how NOT to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                If I remember right BobG on here had some turkey hints available.
                I will PM him, thanks for the lead.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                  We need to figure out how to go on a Turkey hunt together then. Where did you learn how NOT to do it?
                  All over Texas and western Oklahoma.

There are a lot of turkeys at Baker Ranch, but I have never hunted them in the Spring there.

Comment

See if this works, my youngest at Baker

Comment

That is a great video! Of course it only stoked the fire even more for wanting to go on a turkey hunt... thanks for that That was crazy how they just poured in like that!

Comment

Here is one more from Baker Ranch, I know these are not traditional videos, but I believe Lisa and Bonnie Baker still offer spring hunts at their ranch in Rocksprings. As you can see we mostly shot hens, but there have to be gobblers as well right?

Okay, lets see if this short cut works, this is one of my fav videos of my girls.

The girls hunt at the Baker Ranch in Rocksprings Texas in 2009

The second half is the turkey shot.
                        Last edited by Chunky; 01-12-2016, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Nice Video. Congrats.

Swamp Rabbit - do some reading. Hunting hens in the fall is different than hunting gobblers in the spring.

Comment

Let it be known... I'm not after a trophy turkey! Any legal turkey will do.

Comment

Spring time is gobblers only during turkey rut. Meaning decoys and calling mostly.

Comment

Working...
                              X