Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how many does do you think a mature buck breeds per year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how many does do you think a mature buck breeds per year?

You might be surprised. Its less than you think. A buck successfully breeds one doe per year.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookay. Where does this info come from? AND, I have real world experience to the contrary.

Comment

Break out the popcorn. I'm not even going to try and get into this one...

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by barnett77859 View Post
          You might be surprised. Its less than you think. A buck successfully breeds one doe per year.
          Absolutely true...if a buck is lucky he might actually breed two but typically its one or none...

Comment

We had a wild life deal with the game bio from the king ranch and that the infomation
            he gave out. He has ran the king ranch game managment for 15 years. I really dont want to believe him but have no proof he wrong.

Comment

MY information: In 2007, I had two mature bucks cover 8 does on 479 high fenced acres. Proof was in the pudding...or trailcams when all 8 does had at least one fawn on the ground in early summer 2008. I am 100% sure these were the only two bucks on the ranch.

Don't put all your eggs in one bio basket. I once watched Bob Zaglin, Macy Ledbetter, Kroll and another bio I cant remember argue carrying capacity for over 30 minutes. They all had different opinions and information/data to back up there opinion. No doubt the King Ranch grows big deer but I cant agree with this opinion.

IMO the theory just doesnt hold water. How could it when the buck to doe ratio is nowhere close to 1:1 and in some areas of the state the ratio can get up to 5:1...yet even with al lthe hunting pressure the population is still growing.
              Last edited by JeffJ; 09-10-2010, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Sounds like marriage

j

Comment

He's talking an average of one. Some will be more, some less, but most will be one.
                  If I didn't think my opinion was right, then it wouldn't be my opinion. So, any other opinion must be wrong, therefore stupid.

Comment

He breeds as many as he can... and it varies place to place...

a buck in a pen can successfully breed 20...

So deer herds with different ratios are going to have different answers...

the tighter the ratio the fewer does will be bred by an individual...

Comment

That may be close for an average, but each individual herd will differ depending on the age structure, buck doe ratio, etc.

^
                      Just a hair too late.

Comment

I guess if you count the buck fawns and maybe 1.5 yo then that would hurt the average so I could one being the average. I would think most might only breed 2 or three if lucky. Big bucks hang with the doe so I could see them breeding in Oct and then again in Nov.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                          MY information: In 2007, I had two mature bucks cover 8 does on 479 high fenced acres. Proof was in the pudding...or trailcams when all 8 does had at least one fawn on the ground in early summer 2008. I am 100% sure these were the only two bucks on the ranch.

Don't put all your eggs in one bio basket. I once watched Bob Zaglin, Macy Ledbetter, Kroll and another bio I cant remember argue carrying capacity for over 30 minutes. They all had different opinions and information/data to back up there opinion. No doubt the King Ranch grows big deer but I cant agree with this opinion.
                          All other bucks in the world are jealous of your two bucks, of course those two bucks bred those does, if you had 50 does those two bucks would have tried to breed them all as well. You basically had them in a pen, I am not knocking the high fence, I managed and hunted a 1000 acres high fence ranch for several years before it was sold and I miss it dearly...

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post

the tighter the ratio the fewer does will be bred by an individual...
                            Exactly. I have no idea what the KR ratio is but if it is close to 1:1 then the bios theory holds up. BUt it doesnt hold up because of a deers behavioral makeup. It holds up becuase each buck only has one doe to himself.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                              All other bucks in the world are jealous of your two bucks, of course those two bucks bred those does, if you had 50 does those two bucks would have tried to breed them all as well. You basically had them in a pen, I am not knocking the high fence, I managed and hunted a 1000 acres high fence ranch for several years before it was sold and I miss it dearly...
                              Agreed... Like humans, if it's available, it will get bred....

Seriously though.. Most of the studies I have read suggested that because does come in at similar ( figuratively speaking) times of the year, your good buck(s) may be locked onto one hot doe with 5 others ready and they'll be available for any of your scrubs for the taking. In the above scenario, does come in until one of the two bucks can get to them... What a life with no competition...

Comment

Working...
                              X