Got a lease, lets talk spring turkey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a lease, lets talk spring turkey.

My wife and I were able to secure a year round hunting lease from a member on here. We haven't seen the place yet but from pictures and reading through some of the past threads about it we went ahead and sent the money to the land owner. Looks like the first season we'll be able to hunt out there will be spring turkey. I'm seriously going out this first year with nothing other than my recurve, my wife will haul her crossbow. We'll take pistols for snakes and such but only bows for hunting.

So school me on turkey hunting. I picked up a set of mouth calls and am driving the neighbors dogs nuts trying to get them figured out. I'll start looking for good camo and a set of decoys if I really need it. Am also reading up on shot placement (those things are small inside all them feathers!).

Hopefully this will be the start of a great place to hunt an animal or two and spend time out of the city.

Richard.

Congrats on the new lease! My first suggestion for bow hunting turkeys is to use a pop-up. Turkeys will pay no attention to it even if you set it up the same day. Without a blind it is very difficult to get drawn without getting busted. A pop-up with a couple decoys just a few yards away can work great.

Comment

Mouth calls are hard to start with. One sour note and the birds are gone. I'd start out with a box call or a slate call. Both are simple to use. Biggest tip I can give you if you want to call in a big mature gobbler- DONT OVERCALL. Good luck this April.

Comment

For a box call, Fool Proof. Turkeys are always closer than you think when they call. Lots of times hens will come in first.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
          Mouth calls are hard to start with. One sour note and the birds are gone. I'd start out with a box call or a slate call. Both are simple to use. Biggest tip I can give you if you want to call in a big mature gobbler- DONT OVERCALL. Good luck this April.
          When I first started hunting Spring turkeys almost 40 years ago I called too much. That is very tempting to do because it is so exciting to hear them respond. From the first time a gobbler responds to your yelp, he knows pretty much exactly where you are. My rule of thumb now is once I can tell from the sound of his gobble that he's moving in my direction, I shut up.

Comment

I started turkey hunting last year and ended up bagging two, let me tell you it is addicting. Go with a box and/or slate call and don't call to much.

Comment

Shoot em high they die, shoot em low they go. Do a search on tradgang, lots of good info there! Good luck, have fun.

Comment

Don't call too much..... ok. My patience is going to be on the ragged end of nothing I bet.

Thanks folks!

Comment

My experience turkey hunting is that if turkey roost on or very near your property you will have no problems in spring. A pop up and box call with or without a decoy and you are good to go. Trying to lure birds from far away gets difficult

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

ALL the above with another emphasis on not calling to much. I prefer my voice, but as a kid growing up I liked mimicking the noises of hens and pen raised turkeys. I'm not perfect, but I have made it work successfully. IF I was going to get a call it would be a slate call. Those mouth calls can be very tough. Beyond that know that turkeys see color and have incredibly good eye sight. That's why pop-up blinds make the situation A LOT easier. I took one last season and was in a ground blind. Best to you and your wife, and extra Kudos to you for getting her involved. That's greatness.

Comment

In the real world the gobbler goes to his strut and hollers until a few lady’s show up. Then they have fun in the sun.
                      Many years ago I switched to going after them. One trick is to set up as close as possible and do a couple of tiny calls. He will almost always walk 20 yards for a kiss.
                      Listen to the sound of his call. Squeaky is young. Deep is old. Don’t wast time on first year birds.
                      One of my guys used a cammo screen between two poles around 4 foot wide and tall. It was super light and made for quick location changes.
                      Good luck.....

Comment

Good for y'all. Box call, decoy, corn and pop up. You will do fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                          Don't call too much..... ok. My patience is going to be on the ragged end of nothing I bet.

Thanks folks!
                          You will learn with time. Most people do overcall. Always be ready, I have killed plenty of birds that never made a sound. If you are new to turkey hunting and plan on using a bow I would suggest a blind as well. I've never hunted with a blind, but I use a shotgun. I also like decoys. They can distract the birds and they action they produce is a lot of fun. As far as mouth calls, start with a light single Reed like an HS Strut. Tighter more complex reeds make better sounds but are harder to learn on. Keep the call in your mouth and get used to it. Start by getting proficient with blowing air across the Reed, then move to adjusting jaw pressure to make the tones. Get the Yelp down and you can start hunting. Cuts, purrs, etc can come later. Richard (****) Kirby made an excellent beginner video about 20 years ago. Good luck and remember to have fun.

Comment

Google d*** Kirby beginner call

Comment

A String Tracker is an invaluable tool for turkey hunting also!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X