Round Mountain area hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Round Mountain area hunting?

I may have a chance to get on a lease near Round Mountain in northern Blanco County. Its 2000 acres with 10 hunters that the lease manager just acquired, but he's already been managing an adjoining 1600 acres. I don't have any other information about it, but my Dad is going to look at it one of the next 2 weekends with his buddy that knows the lease manager. Hopefully, they can get a look at some photos of deer that have been taken off the existing 1600 acre lease.

I'm looking for opinions on the quality of bucks this area can realistically produce with a good management plan. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

What side of 281? If it's on the west side very very good deer. Years ago A.W. Moursand and several other ranchers brought in hundreds of S.Texas bucks and does over several yrs. those genetics are still evident today.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
      What side of 281? If it's on the west side very very good deer. Years ago A.W. Moursand and several other ranchers brought in hundreds of S.Texas bucks and does over several yrs. those genetics are still evident today.
      I've got a family friend who has hunted on the west side of 281 for years just south of the gas station. His biggest deer was a 140s 9 point with his bow, and pretty much every year they would have deer on camera around that size. With that said, they had been feeding protein and managing the place for years.

Comment

I hunt the east side since 1989. Bucks have improved 1000% since then.
        That said there are an abundance of smaller bucks and some really good bucks.
        Plenty of doe and turkey

Comment

Originally posted by mzurovec View Post
          I've got a family friend who has hunted on the west side of 281 for years just south of the gas station. His biggest deer was a 140s 9 point with his bow, and pretty much every year they would have deer on camera around that size. With that said, they had been feeding protein and managing the place for years.
          The area between Althaus Davis Road and 281 is a great area. Heck even all the way to big sandy. The old Haynes ranch had some legit 170-180's every yr.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            Thanks for the info. Its west of 281. This sounds promising.

Comment

anybody else have experience hunting this area???

Comment

I know the area well. I would say slightly better than average hill country deer on the native places in the area. Obviously ranches with better management practices will have bigger bucks. Most native low fence deer in the area top out between 115 and 135. There should be a few in the 140's. There are several well managed ranches in the area that produce 160's to even 170's, but that is not the norm.

What I love about the area is just the amount of game. It has tons of deer and tons of hogs. As a bow hunter, there is always something to shoot or stalk. It is a really cool area. Bucks are larger than most other over populated areas of the hill country.

Comment

It's a great area. If you can get a lease there, jump on it.

Comment

We hunt over in Sandy little south of there. Lots of deer. Young too. Only had 1 pic of a good mature buck. Never saw him on stand but he made a few showings on cam. I got 2 or 3 that gonna be good if they make it through the gauntlet.

Comment

Working...
                    X