No announcement yet.

Setting up an ILF bow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot a couple shots. Wow, super quiet. Felt good.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post
      Damian, yes it has a Flemish twist string on it and you don't need to tie your yarn silensors in. They will stay put on their on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
      This has not been my experience. When strung maybe but if you unstring the bow . . . Oops!

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Huntinfool,

I see that you've found the same camo yarn that I have....WallyWorld?

Saves you from having to mix different yarn together. Also, cheap and effective!

Todd

Comment

Here is a very detailed manual for the TradTech Titan riser. It could be of use for anyone setting up an ILF bow: http://https://www.lancasterarchery....&III_Guide.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            This has not been my experience. When strung maybe but if you unstring the bow . . . Oops!

I unstrung mine last night and they stayed right there.

But I do have a Flemish string, so maybe that was the difference.

Comment

All of my strings are Flemish twist.

Comment

But that doesn't mean much. I know very little about this stuff.

Comment

Flemish twist, or flemish splice depending on who you talk to, is really just how the end loops are made. Though an endless loop will generally tolerate fewer twists than a flemish twist because of how the end loop are made (if you untwist a flemish too much you can start to untwist the loops which is bad news), it will still have twists in the string. That varies depending on the string builder of course. Back in the day I had some endless loops with no twists before I set the brace height, but that is not too common these days. So holding a string silencer in place, one type won't be better than the other unless you have a string that is a little too short and you don't have many twists in it causing the strands to be "loose" when unstrung. At least in my experience of shooting trad and building strings.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                    Flemish twist, or flemish splice depending on who you talk to, is really just how the end loops are made. Though an endless loop will generally tolerate fewer twists than a flemish twist because of how the end loop are made (if you untwist a flemish too much you can start to untwist the loops which is bad news), it will still have twists in the string. That varies depending on the string builder of course. Back in the day I had some endless loops with no twists before I set the brace height, but that is not too common these days. So holding a string silencer in place, one type won't be better than the other unless you have a string that is a little too short and you don't have many twists in it causing the strands to be "loose" when unstrung. At least in my experience of shooting trad and building strings.
                    I am going to take your word for it.
                    All I know is, my string is unstrung right now and my string silencers are right where I left them.
                    That's all I know for sure.
                    Lol.

One day I'll get all the lingo and meanings down.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                      I am going to take your word for it.
                      Good news is with the internet you can spend a few minutes on Google to determine if you think I am full of it not .

Comment

I shoot flemish strings.
                        My strings only have 1/2 twist per inch of overall length.
                        I don't tie my silencers in. Just slip them in between the bundles.
                        The silencers never move by themselves, but I can move them if I want to.

Rick

EDIT for a P.S.

Even an endless loop string benefits from a few twists.
                        8 to 10 twists in and endless makes it shoot better.
                        I guarantee it.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                          Good news is with the internet you can spend a few minutes on Google to determine if you think I am full of it not .
                          That takes way too much time.
                          I don't even have time to post here, let alone fact check!

Most peeps here are good and knowledgeable.
                          Ask a question, get an answer. Faster and .ore reliable than Google.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                            I shoot flemish strings.
                            My strings only have 1/2 twist per inch of overall length.
                            I don't tie my silencers in. Just slip them in between the bundles.
                            The silencers never move by themselves, but I can move them if I want to.

Rick

EDIT for a P.S.

Even an endless loop string benefits from a few twists.
                            8 to 10 twists in and endless makes it shoot better.
                            I guarantee it.
                            I wonder if I have too much twist in mine? Is there a thing as too much? How would you tell? Measure an inch and try and count the twist?

Great, just when I thought I was doing good, there's another twist!

( See what I did there?)

Comment

I've read you want no more than 3 twists per inch.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                                I've read you want no more than 3 twists per inch.

Performance will actually start to degrade some beyond 1.5 twist per inch, but it isn't enough for most to notice it. Once you get to the 2.5 to 3 twists per inch & beyond, then the string starts acting like a retention coil spring, and the degrading of the performance becomes more noticeable.

It isn't a real big deal as far as structural integrity is concerned, unless the string is twisted so much that it coils back & kinks up on itself when relaxed, then you've got a problem, and a string destine to break eventually.

Damian, if your string isn't kinking up when you relax it, don't worry about it. For now.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X