Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Four days in the hospital due to still unidentified gut ailment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four days in the hospital due to still unidentified gut ailment

So last week I was at a friend's camp in the Land Cut when I was struck with the most severe abdominal pain I've ever experienced. No nausea or vomiting, just sharp "bend over and hug your knees to your chest" gut pain. We drove home Thursday and I went straight to my doctor Friday morning. After asking a few questions and pushing around on my painfully distended belly, he sent me straight across the street to the hospital. That was Friday morning and I just got home a couple hours ago. First they did a CT scan -then a colonoscopy (what fun) Then an ultrasound. Yesterday they did a laporoscopy, where they pump your belly full of air then poke a scope through an incision to look around. They checked for obvious stuff first - a blockage, appendicitis, gall bladder or pancreas problems, etc. It's frustrating because after all that, all they could say is that my small intestine was badly inflamed for some reason. Knowing I'd started feeling bad at fish camp the docs quizzed me about what I might have eaten down at the coast. (nothing unusual) I still wonder though if I didn't pick up a bug of some kind while there. You know how it is - when you're handling bait and fish all day there's no telling what you get on your hands that might end up in your mouth, no matter how much you wash them. I guess it was at least an effective way to lose a quick 10 lbs, but I wouldnt recommend it.
    Last edited by jerp; 04-27-2010, 12:41 PM.

Wow. Have pains gone away then?

Comment

My wife started off with symptoms like that, 1 1/2 years laters they removed her gall bladder. It wasn't a fun time either. Good luck! Hopefully in your case it's just a bug.

Comment

hope all is well now, John

Comment

Glad it came out all right, Jerp. I assume it "came out." Hospital stays rank right up there.

Comment

Jerp, I had an awful pain like that about 2 years ago. I went to the ER twice. The second time they gave me morphine for the pain. It was really that bad. The second time when I went to the ER from work, my boss told me to tell them I was just in Colorado and It could be giardia. They decided to treat me for it instead of testing and the pain went away in a couple of days. If it keeps up, tell them to consider giardia.

I hope you are better soon.

Comment

Dang Jerp. So did you catch any fish Hope ypu get feeling better

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                So did you catch any fish
                Conditions were really strange - we never found the redfish but luckily the trout were biting like crazy under the lights so we brought home a box full.

Comment

Hope you get to feeling better-

Comment

How many jalepenos did you eat Jerp?! Every time I exceed my limit of 10, I get the same symptoms. Seriously, though, hope you're alright bud.

Comment

You didn't wind up with some of that rain water captured off the roofs, did you?

Comment

I had diverticulitis (sp) several years ago and the pain was so bad i couldnt sit up straight either. What side is/was the pain on?

Comment

Dang man you go away for a few days and see what happens?
                          Hope you feel better now and in the future./

Comment

did you eat anything with small seeds, like tomatos?

Comment

dang, John, sorry to hear that.

This guy could figure it out....

Comment

Working...
                              X