Bale target

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bale target

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and was just reading over the beginer volumes, good stuff. I've been looking to get a target recently and have not been impressed with what I see at BassPro for the $. I read here about a bale target and thats when it hit me. I can get a square bale or 2 at the feed store for a lot cheaper than a block target and those bag targets look like they would be shredded quickly. So, 2 questions.
    1. What are the disadvantages of hay bales?
    2. Can I buy replacement bags for bag targets?

Just a little info into my archery background. I have made one selfbow from Osage, 55#@27" 65"nock 2nock. I'm currently working on a hickory. I have some shafts drying right now and will soon be making my arrows. I bought some woodies to get going ahead of time.
    Gary

do yourself a favor and buy you a good target, hay bales will ruin your arrows if you hit the wire that they are bound togeather with, also your arrows will penetrate thru all the way to the fletching, and the get shot out quickly...been there, done that.

Comment

I started out with 3 rectangular bales of hay. They worked, but sometimes the arrow would pass almost all the way through, even with a 45# longbow. After awhile, the elements and repeated shots would scatter bits of hay and the bales no longer held up. Plus, I was afraid snakes would seek refuge in and around them in the summer months. And speaking of summer, the price of hay went sky high last summer with the bad drought we had. Don't know what the price is now, though.

I would think one of those big round hay bales should last longer than the smaller rectangular ones I had. I think RickBarbee has one of those. But they're much heavier and more expensive, and you need a trailer or big pickup bed to haul one. Unwieldy for me in my small, suburban backyard, but fine if you have lots of property I suppose.

As for the BassPro bag targets, I have one of those and a small, octagon-shaped Rhinehart target. I like the bag target, but it's still new so I don't know how long it'll hold up. My main complaint about it is that it's very loud when an arrow smacks it. Almost sounds like a .22. The Rhinehart is much quieter and has lasted two years so far, even when left out in the rain and hot summer sun. But I've made some big holes in it on a couple sides of it already.

Comment

Oh, and post some pics of your selfbow and the arrows you're making!

Comment

For $14 you can buy a replacement bag for a Morrell Yellow Jacket. Here:http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/...et-p-6933.html
          I bought one and stuffed it with old tarps I was going to throw away and some old carpet padding - I was surprised how much it took to fill it but once I got it full and tightly packed it works great.

Comment

I have 2. The first is a cheap ($40) Morrell's Yellow Jacket Supreme bag target for field points. It's a great target and holds up well to wear, and the elements. Second is a really nice Rinehart Rhino Brute foam target for field points and broadheads. I've had it a year and it still looks new, even though I leave it outside. No sense in spending lots of dough though, the bag field point targets serve a great purpose and are more portable than bales of hay.

Comment

My favorite targets are the McKenzie shotblockers. They are tuff fairly light and will take anything you can fling at it. Definitely worth the!!

Comment

I bought an old shot-up 3D target from the archery club and filled it
                up with GREAT STUFF foam sealant, repainted it and made an new ear
                from a piece of wood. I prolly have less than 15 bucks in it.

Comment

We bought morrell bags(36x36) for around $70 and replacement covers were less than $20. The bags are good for around 5000 shots if you SPREAD your shots around. When it's worn out just slip it into a new bag and your back in business.
                  A quality target will last you much longer and save money in the long run. Check out pacific butts if you want a larger target. They hold up well. If you leave targets outside , you need to protect fromthe SUN. It destroys more targets than arrows

Comment

We use a large round bale here at the shop and as you might guess it has had thousands and thousands of arrows shot into it. Recently we had to turn it around, that was fun, so we could shoot at the new side. It was finally getting a bit shot out on the original side. If you go to a round bale stay away from costal bermuda. Ours is haygrazer. Cheaper and much harder. It will stop any lb bow we have shot at it. I bought it 4 years ago for $50. Quite a bit more now I am sure. The seller loaned me his bale dolly to pull it behind my truck to get it here.

Comment

PS, your arrows will dissapear in the costal.

Comment

Originally posted by bob sarrels View Post
                        PS, your arrows will dissapear in the costal.

They sure will, but not if you band the bale.
                        My bale is coastal, but I have a 4" ratchet strap around it, and have it pulled down as tight as I can get it. It stops anything you throw at it now.

P.S.
                        Hay bales don't make great broadhead targets. To hard to pull them out.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                        X