X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lost Arra View Post
    Good example of over-penetration.

Comment

Anyone who knows me knows - I am one of the most tolerant trad shooters of other equipment there is. I've got nothing against compounds at all. Crossbows, well that's a different story, and don't need to be discussed here.

The thing is - this "Traditional Forum" was created with the specific intent of allowing the trad guys to have a forum where they could discuss "Traditional Equipment" without the clutter of other things. That's it in a nut shell. Simple.

Now, as to what I said in my first post - yes, I was picking on you. Get used to that, because I'll probably pick on you again somewhere down the road, BUT keep in mind, it's only friendly poking.

I was serious as a heart attack with what I said in my second post. Don't start downing the trad stuff. All that does is show you don't understand, and/or don't know how to use it.

Now, just a little FYI for some of you - Mcalester Oklahoma Army Ammunition Post does draw hunts on the post. They did some extensive survey & study some years ago, and due to the results of that study, they only allow Traditional Equipment to hunt. They found the wounding & lost animal ratio was far less than that of the compound.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
        That's what ... Never mind. Family forum & all.

Rick

Comment

To coin a quote from one of my favorite movies:

"I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it."

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
            To coin a quote from one of my favorite movies:

"I said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it."

Rick
            [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
              Haa Haa. I knew that would cause some panties to bunch up.

Two words
              Traditional Forum.

And, for those of you who think my methods are any less ethical, or productive than yours, lets get together & shoot sometime. I bet I can out shoot you with your bow, as well as mine. Wanna give it a go?

Rick
              Where's the "like Button"

Comment

I'm not sure your info is correct on the McAllister area. I don't think they ever see much to shoot on those hunts. Or at least that's what a guy who has been drawn there tells me.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                  I'm not sure your info is correct on the McAllister area. I don't think they ever see much to shoot on those hunts. Or at least that's what a guy who has been drawn there tells me.

Nope. I'm right. I also have several friends who have connected with nice animals there. One of those friends shot this guy in 2012. I think it's the current MCAAP record, but not positive.

Rick
                  Attached Files

Comment

Actually, Mcalester went to traditional equipment to cut down on the harvest rate without cutting back on the number of hunters. Their belief was that that the success rate was lower for traditional hunters than for compound hunters. Research conducted subsequent to this implementing this policy supported their conclusions.

Last edited by Phillip Fields; 07-13-2017, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Broke out the old LX yesterday - still shoots better than me

Originally posted by DRT View Post

You better double check your info! They kill lots of deer at MCAAP, and some real whoppers to boot!!!

And, because it is harder to be successful with trad gear, the successes with trad gear are that much sweeter!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Last edited by Bisch; 07-13-2017, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I doubt seriously that can be correct Rick. No offence but I'm a lot more precise and deadly with my compound. Granted I haven't been doing this long, and there are some great trad shooters out there, but I've seen just as many slob trad hunters as I have great ones. That's one of the reasons I didn't delve into it years ago. I knwe the commitment it took and knew too many guys who were 10% ers. You know, they recovered 10% of the deer they shot. Thats why even now i realize I made the right decision on waiting. I think a lot of B'S and puffed up egos on both sides want to spew crud and not talk real facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                          Actually, Mcalester went to traditional equipment to cut down on the harvest rate without cutting back on the number of hunters. Their research indicated that the success rate was lower for traditional hunters that for compound hunters.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Archery_Hunts
                          That too, but they did at one time state the wound & lost animals rates as being lower with trad equipment than with the compound. Maybe they've edited that particular info out in an effort to not offend anyone, because I read the official document of the research not long after it was first released.

Now, think about that for a minute. If the Trad guys had a higher wound & loss rate, cutting back to trad only would not decrease the number of animals removed from the field at all. It would only reduce the number of animals brought into camp.

Rick

EDIT for a little more info:
                          I was told by an insider from MCAAP, that the compound guys were to prone to taking longer shots than they should, which resulted in more wounded & lost animals than they were willing to accept. Take that info, or leave it, but I guarantee you I would not offer it if not the truth.
                          Last edited by RickBarbee; 07-13-2017, 06:47 PM.

Comment

The first deer lease I ever got on had some slob trad hunters running it. Cowtown Bowman board members. They wounded and lost deer left and right. I killed everyone I shot at on the lease. They were so elitist because I had a Bear Whitetail 2 compound. They said they were real bowhunters.

Maybe the few guys on here, Buff and a couple others have been impressive but there are a lot more trad shooters who aren't as committed and capable yet hunt. And remember, only a small percentage of bowhunters frequent forums.

Comment

In fact some of the rhetoric on here was deflating to me because I saw some of that elitist attitude in a person or two and getting into this was intimidating. After all going from a nock splitting, killing machine to can't hit the side of a barn from the inside was definitely humbling.

Comment

Just sucks that I have to have separate peers to talk to about bows with wheels and those without.

Comment

Working...
                                X