The other HF, exotic thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other HF, exotic thread

This is NOT the bash HF thread as others. Doing some "listening" and came across about a guy in the Hill Country.

He states HF and the normalization of bringing in exotic animals deteriorated natural wildlife like wt deer etc.

Really gave more insights on how he believes browsing, water, mineral and other wildlife resources have deteriorated due to high fencing and the huge introduction of exotic animals to Texas.

I don't believe he was a biologist or such but he did spin some valid points. He went on too say some exotics are use more to drought stricken regions and survived better than wt etc. thus depleting more of Texas wt vegetation.

All this time I thought everything was ok maybe not so much but then again I am not a landowner and feeling that crunch as I enjoy seeing the exotics.

Interesting thread. I don’t live or get to hunt in the Hill Country where exotics thrive, so no thoughts from me. Will be interesting to hear others thoughts

Comment

Lots of information and literature on exotics having a competitive advantage over native species, especially deer, and the detrimental habitat consequences. They taste good and are purty to look at, but do lots of damage. Differential foraging strategies and diet preference of exotics tend to leave deer at a disadvantage, especially at high deer/exotic densities. Of course if you just cram everybody full of protein and disregard habitat considerations, the negative affects aren't as noticeable (unless another species depended on that habitat).

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
        Lots of information and literature on exotics having a competitive advantage over native species, especially deer, and the detrimental habitat consequences. They taste good and are purty to look at, but do lots of damage. Differential foraging strategies and diet preference of exotics tend to leave deer at a disadvantage, especially at high deer/exotic densities. Of course if you just cram everybody full of protein and disregard habitat considerations, the negative affects aren't as noticeable (unless another species depended on that habitat).
        Bingo thanks for your input

Comment

They are roaming Mexico too

Comment

Fences deterioate, fall, flooding rain wash outs, hog holes, nilgai holes, cut fences. everything is everywhere it seems

Comment

I got excited when I read the title of this thread, I didn’t have my glasses on and mis read exotic as erotic. Dang it.

Comment

Working...
              X