My Regret Meter - Pegged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Regret Meter - Pegged

As some of you recall, I was fortunate enough to take a solid buck off my river grounds in early October after a 5 year dry spell. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=665418

And again, some might remember that at that time my buck was approximately the 4th best buck we had on camera and I was fine with that. Gave the kids the opportunity to kill the top end bucks…..

Well let’s rewind to Nov. 25, I have eased down into my lower river plot in an attempt to get arrows in as many hogs as showed. And what would you know, a “New” never seen or captured on camera 4.5 / 5.5 year old 8 point walked in the plot and presented multiple opportunities to be killed. He had great mass, good tine length, and overall impressive. First 5 photos below….. and yes that thing that looks like a fat raccoon in camo sitting in Brecks bow stand is me…………..Oh it gets better, hang in there.

Which brings me to December 9th early morning time. Back in Brecks bow stand watching 6 younger bucks ease in and out of the lower river plot. 6:55 a.m. I notice all the bucks in the plot get extremely still while focusing on the thick brush to my north. All at once each started easing away from the northern brush line. Yep, you know it, our Number 1 buck, “The Dreamy 8” a truly incredible whitetail that we had captured hundreds and hundreds of trail cam photos of, (all night time) eases out in the plot and yep, walks straight to my hand corn and sticks his head in the corn. For close to an hour he would go between hand corn and the feeder. I should add, the last time I laid eyes on this buck during day light was October 2013. I have captured trail cam photos of this deer since 2012 but 99% were night time. We estimate his age from history of photos to be 7.5 / 8.5. And yes, that’s me again in that tree with my bow hanging……..See last 5 photos below......

Well, there is always next year……if I can talk myself into passing the first mature deer that walks in…… Ha ha

Just thought some of you would like a laugh at my expense today…………..Ha ha

For all that does not read the humor in my post, I do not regret my harvest this year. Lord’s trying to teach me patience’s………but sure wish he would find a different teaching aid…ha ha ha

Hope each enjoy and find humor in a great problem to have.

God Bless and hope each have a Merry Christmas.
    Rwc
    Attached Files

Gives you something to look forward to next year.

Comment

I would love to have that problem on the place that I hunt. Heck of an 8.

Comment

Yup it happens! Been in your shoes. That's why normally if I kill a buck I'm normally done for the season and I just chase ducks the rest of the time. My luck would be that I would go out there and see something that is larger than what I took already.

Comment

Got a GOOD start for next year!

Comment

My luck usually goes the other way. I usually pass on a decent buck and then never see anything near as good. At least you got to see him.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow he's big and fat, especially post rut. Good luck on getting him next year. Now you know you just have to pass on every nice buck between October 1 and mid December, hoping Mr. Big decides to show back up. And hoping of course that somebody else doesn't get him before then as well. What a nice 8 point.

Comment

This story has the makings of an epic thread next year.

What a great buck.
                Love the game cam pics of him and you in the background.

Comment

Well you could be like me and passed five deer that only an idiot would pass with archery gear in hopes of shooting Fiddy who has now dropped off the earth. I wanna shoot one now but..what if Fiddy shows up next week?

Great year you had Sir. those pics are trophies.

Comment

Happens buddy. At least u got to see him in the daylight and up close. Most of us hardly ever or never get to see a great animal like that. You are very fortunate indeed. Hope u get to see him again next year and get a chance to get him. We all know what you will b dreaming of. Thanks for sharing the pics of a great buck. That coons a monster too.

Comment

I know the feeling, shot a good 8 opening weekend. Last Sunday had a real nice 10 stand in front of me for 3 hours, 8:30 to 11:30. 12-25 yds, in and out, all morning. Patience is not one of my virtues!

LD

Comment

I can see this thread being copied into another thread next year!

Comment

I’m with ya this year but yes, I’m proud of my first river bottom buck. But dangit!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bowsticker View Post
                            I can see this thread being copied into another thread next year!
                            I pray you and Clark can say I told you so next year.

Rwc

Comment

I'm hesitant to go hog hunting on my Rusk Co. property because I killed a buck on my Rusk Co. lease last Saturday. I'm scared of what I might see ! Like jaytx said, gives you something to look forward to !

Comment

Working...
                              X