No announcement yet.

Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son has been playing select ball since he was 8 and now plays 13U AAA. We had to be at the park yesterday morning @ 6:45 for back to back games and it was COOOOOOOLD!

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      If you have a team that 20% play ball past high school then y'all are putting out some studs. Baseball is not a sport you get rides to school with anymore
      We have our fair share of kids moving on to play college ball, but I was talking about only maybe 20% in the state. I also want to say one more thing to the parents please don't ever go to an organization and tell the coaches your child was offered a full ride at this school or that school never going to happen in college baseball unless he is D1 stud and even then very slim chance

Comment

My 8yo is on a 8u Dallas Tigers team, playing in a tournament this weekend in Grapevine.

Comment

my 10yo plays now, its a blast. love to watch the select kids play. we just wrapped up 2 weekends in a row of tourneys an im ready for this weekend off. we play again next weekend in longview,,,hopefully if it makes.

Comment

My little guy plays league ball and I'm afraid of select ball. He could use the step up in competition, but I have no idea where to start, lol.

Some of these Coaches flat out scare me. He loves the game and loves to pitch at the moment, and even though he's good, I dont want to mess that up.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
              My little guy plays league ball and I'm afraid of select ball. He could use the step up in competition, but I have no idea where to start, lol.

Some of these Coaches flat out scare me. He loves the game and loves to pitch at the moment, and even though he's good, I dont want to mess that up.
              PM me if you have any questions. I was in your shoes at one time with a very timid kid.

Comment

We have moved to 8u softball and I'm assistant coaching. Still rec at CPYL. I've met a ton of great people and do my best to stay away from the "toxic" coaches and parents. Fortunately, 8u softball at CPYL is solid and very competitive. We are confident they will go far in the Pony world series this year.

Select ball....I'm still on the fence. Mostly because I am not convinced my daughter has that kind of fire in her belly although she does have the physical ability. I hear 10u (first year of kid pitch) can be pretty painful as all of the decent pitchers have moved on to select by then.

We'll see....

Comment

My daughter plays for a 16u black widows team as catcher. She has been starting varsity catcher since freshman year (sophomore now). She made 2nd team all district as a fish. She's got the fire to play college ball but says she doesn't want d1 because she wants more play time. I asked my wife what we will we do with our weekends when she graduates. My boy plays 14u on a premier prospects in Lewisville. I don't have free weekends!!! Wouldn't trade it for anything!!!

Comment

Yup
                    Attached Files

Comment

We started out this year in 9u. Been playing Dixie ball the past couple years. the weekend ball just fits for us...schedule wise and the way we handle our kids.

definitely can push this group a little harder

Comment

Nope, never did it. Waste of time and money imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
                          Any of you guys have a kid playing select baseball or softball?...
                          First sentence of the post, very first sentence!!!

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
                          Nope, never did it. Waste of time and money imo.
                          Never did it... Why post? He didn't ask for everyone's opinions on why or why not. He just wanted to know if anyone had kids playing, and wished those folks good luck.

I can speak with some clarity on the subject. I have 3 sons. 1 plays select, the other 2 play in league. I have spent more money on the 2 in league than I have on my oldest who plays select. We play with an organization that does fundraisers, plays mostly local, and doesn't pay fees for Coaches. So to throw a blanket on all of select ball as waste of time and money seems to come from someone who doesn't know much about it. Oh yeah, you never did it...

I don't have my son in select ball to play college baseball, I could care less about college. My 10 year old wants to play HS Baseball, and we live in a Baseball hotbed. As Grant2 stated, the competition in the select world is so much better than any league, my kid is "light years" ahead of the other 10 year olds in our area that only play league.

As a 9 year old, and a kid who had just turned 9, I put him back in Fall Ball in the league where we live just to get him more reps on live pitching. As a 9 year old, playing against 10's, he was already one of the Top 5 players in that league, so I know it worked, at least for my kid.

To each his own, but I like watching my kid have to work, and get his teeth kicked in by kids who are bigger, throw harder, and overall better athletes. It's nice to see them have to elevate their games in order to compete.

Good Luck To You Guys This Spring!!!

Comment

I have 2 that play.. One in 13U Majors, and one in 13AAA... Both with Texas Sports..

Comment

I have a 9 year old playing. He loves it and I love it. I coached the past 2 years that we have played select but this year I sat back to watch and see how he does with another coach. He plays on a 10U Elite team and so far 2 of the 3 tournaments we have played were 11u. He's getting great experience and competes on a whole new level.

League is a joke. I coach his team in league and have 10 & 11 year olds that simply don't know the game and the parents think they are entitled to just as much playing time as all the other kids. But, my son is on a mission to make all stars so we stick with it. If I had to choose between the two, it would be select ball all day long.

Comment

Not any more......but my son did play tournament ball for nine years. He would do it all over again if he could. Some of the best and most challenging experiences he faced during his Baseball career. My wife and I enjoyed watching him compete at such a high level here in the Houston area.

Comment

Working...
                                X