What about this 7 1/2 yr old
    That would definitely qualify haha

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Canyon View Post
      What about this 7 1/2 yr old
      cull

Comment

South Texas low fence.
        Managed for 14 years. We are MLD. We don't start culling bucks until they reach 3-1/2 years old . Any 6,7 point is shot on site. 8pts that do not have good frame or or short times are also harvested. 5 year old 10pts That have weak browtines, or g2's or g4's are harvested. We want bucks with great frames

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by rattler7696 View Post

All these where taken or classified as culls on our south Texas low fence ranch.

Comment

Knarly

Comment

I'd like to shoot any of rattlers "culls"

Comment

Originally posted by blntrey3 View Post
                  3.5 yr old 6, No Brows

2.5+ Spike
                  And, any deer you just "had to shoot" that doesn't meet the harvest rules of your lease--"It's a cull buck"

Comment

Without History Their is No Guideline. Could Post Numerous Trophy Deer that Had Bad Years of Horn Growth to Put them in a Cull Situation. Know Your Deer and Always Make the right Choice because you can't take it Back. Other than that it comes down to only a Guess on your part

Comment

All these where taken or classified as culls on our south Texas low fence ranch.

Good examples - especially since those deer all have age to them.

In my opinion, with the goal of growing as many "good" deer as possible, I wouldn't shoot bucks before 4.5 unless population control dictated otherwise.

Since we are a HF, we have the ability to let deer get old, and give them every opportunity to grow big. Sometimes, they don't really explode until they hit 5.5. 5.5+ seems to equal mass and kickers for us.

Shooting sub par 1,2 & 3 yo deer works for many highly managed places, and I am impressed with those that can maintain that level of mgmt plan, but I can't imagine what would end up in our cooler if we tried to shoot "the right" 5pts...

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
                        Without History Their is No Guideline. Could Post Numerous Trophy Deer that Had Bad Years of Horn Growth to Put them in a Cull Situation. Know Your Deer and Always Make the right Choice because you can't take it Back. Other than that it comes down to only a Guess on your part

This is very true. We have history, either camera photos or film on most of the bucks that we decide to shoot. Trophy or cull. Ours is almost always a group decision also.

Comment

Every deer you shoot is a cull. You have culled it out of the herd.

Comment

I have a question, since statistically most of the does are breed by 3.5-4.5 yr old bucks how much good is really done by shooting culls at 5.5 or older? I understand some people just use the word cull to excuse shooting a buck. And history with the deer makes sense. I am just curious if this is supposed to help the deer heard of just allows more deer to be taken with no material impact to the herd.

We wait until 4.5 or older and same general guidelines as above. We aren't managing real hard as we can't get people to kill doe.

Comment

I don't know man, for 1 reason or another all of those could qualify as trophies

Comment

Working...
                              X