No announcement yet.

Cast Iron and Bacon Grease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bacon, and its grease are not meat...they are a spice. They enhance the flavor of anything you add them to so by that very definition they are a spice

I have a quart jar on standby where I pour bacon grease into and as others have said have moved to using it and butter nearly exclusively instead of plant oils

Comment

Mason jar in the fridge always.

Comment

After I cook bacon the leftover grease doesn’t make it 24 hrs before I’ve used it to cook something else.

Comment

Fry bacon and leave grease in pan for next fry...if mouse tracks end up in it..gota trash it..

Comment

Use it every day for something! Lol We started buying the big tubs of BaconUp and really like it. All it is is filtered bacon grease. It's cheap and convenient so that's what we do vs saving our grease.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
              Fry bacon and leave grease in pan for next fry...if mouse tracks end up in it..gota trash it..
              Hot grease will kill mouse poop germs. That's what I've been telling tell my wife for years..

Comment

I fried an entire large package of bacon in my cast iron skillet the before I used it the first time. We keep bacon grease in the fridge all the time for cooking several items. To clean your cast iron skillet, we never use soap and water unless I plan on re-seasoning with bacon grease. I always clean with coarse kosher salt, scrub all all over and then you can just wipe out the salt.

when I do re-season i will cook more bacon in it, drain access grease and make sure all surfaces coated in the grease. Then I will place it upside down on parchment paper in a hot oven (400) for 1 hour. Once the time is up I turn off the oven and leave it in the oven and let it cool slowly, usually over night.

Comment

I season with avocado oil or flaxseed oil , then fry up some bacon, wipe it out. Put in oven till next time, and fry some stuff in lard

Comment

I season my cast iron with Crisco shortening, but always keep bacon grease in fridge. I have two of those little bowls like they serve salsa in. Every time I cook bacon I pour the fresh in one of those bowls, and heat the old one and pour over the dry dog food. Teaspoon or so is great when cooking veggies.

Comment

I like to pour hot grease through a coffee filter. Gives you a nice clean product.

People act like seasoning cast iron is some kind of mystical sorcery. Get it hot and rub some kind of grease or oil on it. I also wash mine with soap and a brush occasionally. *Insert gasp here* The cast iron does not explode or become useless. Set it on a burner or in the oven to dry it. Smear on some more oil. Magically it becomes like new again.

Ours get kinda crusty on the bottom side from burnt on oil eventually. I put it on the wood fire grill and stoked it with a leaf blower. Had the bottom glowing red, lol. Wire brushed it off and oiled it. Good as new.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                        I like to pour hot grease through a coffee filter. Gives you a nice clean product.
                        I was going to say this. Let the oil sit just a bit after cooking your bacon so its just cool enough that it will run through the filter without splashing and burning things. You don't want any bacon pieces in with the grease. I learned from my mom/grandma, never let good grease go to waste. Use it instead of buying oil and then use a grease cloth to coat the skillet after each cook to re-season.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPun View Post
                          I was going to say this. Let the oil sit just a bit after cooking your bacon so its just cool enough that it will run through the filter without splashing and burning things. You don't want any bacon pieces in with the grease. I learned from my mom/grandma, never let good grease go to waste. Use it instead of buying oil and then use a grease cloth to coat the skillet after each cook to re-season.
                          I just use a paper towel to filter.

Comment

A friend of mine keeps the bacon grease in a 6" cast iron pan next to the stove.

Comment

I use one of these to keep my bacon grease in and store it in the fridge.
                              Grease Keeper: A Handy Way to Store Grease Leftover grease? Reuse it! Attractive stoneware container neatly stores up to 6 cups of grease for cooking. Keep it on your countertop for easy access. Fine stainless steel mesh strainer inside 6-cup capacity Gleaming black stoneware Dishwasher safe Dimensions: 6-1⁄2H x 5-3⁄4OD

Comment

I took the new lodge down to bare metal with some coarse paper. Then I hand sanded with 400 grit. Then with coarse salt.

Next, I heated my gas grill to 375* and heated the pan with a thin coat of olive oil. I repeated 3 times. The last thing I did was heat it on the stove with a cup of bacon grease. I let the hot oil roll for 20 mins or so. Then I cooled the pan and wiped it down.

She looks great. Gona try her out in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X