Trimming Bradford Pear trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trimming Bradford Pear trees

The thread on trimming the Oak tree got me thinking.
    Is it ok to trim/prune a Bradford Pear this time of the year? I mainly just want to raise the canopy so I don't have duck down while mowing but also want to trim out some branches if needed.

I think you'd be ok to shape it, yes.

Comment

Yes, you can prune/trim the Bradford Pear now or really any time of year where you're at. No, you should not need to apply pruning seal to any of the cuts. Bradford Pears are short-lived trees with a 25-30 year life span.

Comment

We usually try to trim bradfords right below the soil line

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
          This ^^^

Comment

I'll let you tell my wife that

Comment

Haha true

Comment

I will say this, Bradfords are very difficult to trim and not get into another branch coming from the trunk. Be careful and really try to estimate your cuts to not interfere with the other parts that coming out of the trunk

Comment

I usually trim our Bradford In Feb. That's what the guy at the nursery told us to do anyway. He said that is the best time before it starts to bud out

Comment

I'm about to do that myself that and another big leaf producing monstrosity.....May need a TBH tree guy to do it though. I'm too old for that *** whipping anymore. Should have cut both of them down when they were 2" thick and our builder said Denton County said they had to plant two new trees with each build. I'm like there are 6 oaks in the front yards as it is!
                    Last edited by Smart; 04-30-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

This!

Thin out the branches. They are weak trees and will split with heavy branch loads and wind. Really best to cut down and replace with a solid tree that will last.

Comment

We have Bradford Pears that have thorns on them. They will start disappearing a little at a time after we move to the new place.

Comment

I just moved to a new house in December and cut down 2 Bradford Pear trees that the previous owner had planted. They weren't very big, and there are a lot of oak and cedar elm trees on the lot.

Comment

Turn on a box fan and point at it... it will self trim

Only issue you MIGHT HAVE is after trimming, the remaining limbs will grow at an ultra high rate. That will make the sag possibly and be more brittle that they are

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
                              The thread on trimming the Oak tree got me thinking.
                              Is it ok to trim/prune a Bradford Pear this time of the year? I mainly just want to raise the canopy so I don't have duck down while mowing but also want to trim out some branches if needed.
                              I trim mine every year but only do the bigger limbs in the winter. One of mine has really gotten pretty big but I know they're short lived so I've tried to take as much weight off it as I can, mainly the direction it leans toward.
                              And yes, mowing under it was a pain so that was the first limbs to come off.

Comment

Working...
                              X