My targeted buck is finally down!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My targeted buck is finally down!!!

This past weekend I was finally fortunate enough to harvest a management buck that I've had on my "to kill" list since this past summer when I caught this first game cam pic of him......

He wasn't a regular at the protein feeder, but earlier this fall he started to show himself more and more and it was at that time that I knew that he was a muture buck that had less-than-desirable antler characteristics. I did like his weird double brow tine thing he had going on, but other than that he wasn't what I wanted to see out there...

Fast forward to the start of the actual season when I was finally able to put in a pit blind that I planned on hunting from. This idea came from turbowhunter so I want to thank him for his ingenuity and the time he took to answer my questions. He is truly gifted as most of you already know! I also want to thank raiderbowhunter for allowing me to purchase this tank that he had ran across. Josh is a class act and you won't find a more genuine, helpful guy than him! As far as getting the tank ready to hunt out of, it took much longer than anticipated to build (that's very typical of any project I take on), but after getting it fully installed I was quite pleased with the outcome...

Putting it in the ground....I'm not as tough as turbowhunter (who dug his hole with a shovel!) as this was enough of a chore with a bobcat!!

Here it is all finished with camo netting over the top and shoot-thru netting over the window...

My view from the front window looking at the feeder...

Anyway, after several unsuccessful hunts (seeing only deer that I would usually want to kill if I weren't trying to thin out management bucks!) I finally had this old man jump into the pen just before dusk. After what seemed like an eternity of him facing me head-on while standing directly under the feeder, I intentionally made several short "shhhh" sounds in an effort to make him move and hopefully offer me a broadside shot. After making four consective "shhhh" sounds which resulted in him only lifting his head from the corn each time to look around, the fourth "shhhh" sound prompted him to finally move broadside and take several steps to the right as if he was about to leave. At the moment he paused to look back in the direction of the source of the sounds, I was able to make a clean, 25 yd. shot and the Slick Trick blew through both lungs and landed over 10' past where the buck was standing when he was hit! He made it approximately 40 yards before crashing. He had broken off both of the brow tines on his right antler, but I was still thrilled! You can see the entrance hole just to the right of my quiver by my cables...

And finally, a truly blessed bowhunter...

I'm now in the process of trying to put my wife on one of the other management deer we've targeted and I hope to be able to post a story about her first successful archery hunt in the near future. Or better yet, have her sign up and give y'all the run down herself!

Thanks to everyone on this great site that I learn from every day while reading your posts!!!

Take care and God Bless,

predatorsniper
    Last edited by predatorsniper; 12-03-2009, 04:48 PM.

OUTSTANDING. Congrats on the buck and thanks for sharing. Like that pit blind!

Comment

Great Buck

Comment

Beauty!

Comment

Outstanding! Congrats! That pit blind is really neat.

Comment

Very nice. Your patience paid off.

Comment

I really appreciate it! I can take about 1% of the credit, though. I learned and/or copied the other 99% from you guys!!!

Comment

Congrats ,nice buck

Comment

Dude! That blind is just not fair!! Genius I tell you!!! Great buck.

Comment

Nice buck and I really like the pit blind, but are you afraid of snakes getting in it.

Comment

Very Nice, I like it when plan comes together, Congratulations!!!! Nice set up too!!!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats on the buck and great looking blind as well.

Comment

Sweeet buck and nice idea about the bow blind set up!

Comment

Nice deer. Good shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X