2009 Illinois Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 Illinois Davis

Well after an unsuccessful 2008 season in Illinois, my luck changed. I arrived in Illinois on the evening of the Nov 1st, and the bucks were already tending does in the wide open corn and soybean fields. Like most of you that hunted the midwest this season, you know that the crops were put in the ground late, and they were still in the ground when I got there, due to record rainfall. This made for tough hunting in our normal stands, that were situated between food source and Bedding areas. The full moon pumped the breaks on most of the normal daytime deer activity as well.

After 8 days of standtime my luck payed off when I was driving from camp to my stand. I noticed a large buck and several smaller bucks working a lone doe in a crp field adjacent to one of the last standing corn fields in the area. I knew who the farmer was, and I went to ask him if he minded if I hung a stand in the hedge row between the corn and crp. He laughed at me and said "Son, the only two deer around here are those two in the back yard!" My curiosity got the better of me and I looked back there to see and old John Deere tractor and Combine. LOL I told him I wanted two shoot the big brown ones across the road. He said he didn't mind and off I went with some tree sticks and lock on. As I drove up the edge of the crp I noticed several fresh scrapes and a intersection of trails about 2/3 of the way back in the field. As I got out of my truck a doe jumped up and right behind her was this big 9 point. I hung the stand and backed out. I hunted it the first evening with no activity, but was steadfast that this stand would produce activity if I held in there. The second evening I passed on several smaller bucks that worked the edge of the corn and transitioned into the crp to bed. About 4 pm I noticed the corn field erupting in movement and heard several buck roars coming from the swaying stalks of corn. I followed up with a series of grunts and pulled a couple of 130 inch deer within bow range, but I could see occasionally the tips of my bucks horns moving through the corn. I decided to wait it out. Shortly I realized the buck was being lead my way by a mature doe, and I just grabbed my Bow and started the mental battle"When do I draw, Is the doe looking, Dont look at the horns, Pick a spot, Please LORD let this happen, What if the wind changes?????? Ya'll guys know what I am talking about!! Shortly the Doe had moved under me and he was not far behind. She made her way down wind of me and winded me. Shew blew and bolted across the crp field, with the buck in pursuit. As he plunged into the Hedge Row his antlers got hung in the trees and he thrashed around for 3 or 4 seconds. I had no shot, but was at full draw by now. The buck went down to his front knees to pull his entangled rack from the trees, and when he did, he left a basketball sized opening right in the wheel house open. I slammed a rage 2 blade into both lungs and hit the off shoulder. He bolted out of the tree line in pursuit of the doe, but soon realized he forgot to pay his AIR BILL!!! He barrell rolled about three times and was out for the count. He weighed 275 lbs on the hoof and is a nine point scoring 148. MAN I LOVE THE MIDWEST!!!
    Attached Files

cool story and nice buck

Comment

What a great buck!!!
      thats a cool story

Comment

WOW! That's a great buck and great write up. Congratulations!

Comment

Congrats! What a bruiser!

Comment

Nice buck man... My father in law and myself came back from up there on the 1st of November, you are right the standing corn was tough... We came home empty handed but it was a awesome week....
            Congratulations on a great buck!!!

Comment

You were meant to have that deer, Davis.

Nice recap. Congrats.

Comment

That's a hoss. Great story. Congratulations on your buck.

Comment

Congrats on a great buck. His body is massive. Looks more like a steer then a deer. Congrats

Comment

Awesome story, and congrats on a great deer.

Comment

Thanks Guys!!! I have been hunting up there since 2004, and it just seems to be getting better as far as producing bigger deer.

Comment

Great buck!

Congrats,

Bisch

Comment

Congrats, way to get it done!!

Comment

Congrats on a great buck

Comment

congrats

Comment

Working...