Traditional FSC Week 38

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional FSC Week 38

Archery hunting season is almost upon us. My understanding of this challenge series is to improve hunting skills by creating a simulation of the first shot on an animal and to provide a fun excuse to practice that situation.

This week, the challenge is to make your own shot, basically. By that I mean that you will choose the height and distance from which you expect to shoot an animal on opening morning of archery season. Specifically, if you hunt out of a tree stand, then climb a ladder or find an elevated position to shoot from (if you're Randy, stand on your deck railing ). If you shoot from a ground blind, get out your stool and sit on it to shoot. As far as distance, pick a distance that approximates what you would consider ideal for an animal to stop broadside for you in your actual set-up. This will probably be 12- to 18 yards -- your choice. Maybe, you wear a ghillie suit and stand by a tree on a trail: shoot 10 yards standing. I will say shot has to be at least 10 yards for grownups -- 7 for kids.

For the challenge, simply put a dot or an X on a piece of paper and shoot from your chosen position and distance -- maybe with the expected hunting gear you will wear (I'm sure we would love to see pics of your attire.)

Oh, and by the way, use your complete hunting rig, including broadheads. Please share the info on your equipment -- bow weight and type, arrow material, weight and FOC, broadhead type and weight etc. Also, please share your distance and circumstance of the shot.

Winner of next week's call will be the closest arrow -- measured from nearest edge of shaft -- to center of dot or X.

Sample report: 2-3/8", shot from top of a 6-foot ladder, sitting, using 70-lb recurve and 680-grain Warrior carbon with 25 % FOC, with a 300-grain single bevel Tuffhead from a distance of 14 yards.

Don't think you have to write a book, but we could all benefit knowing how our trad brethren foresee their best-case scenarios. Good luck.
    Last edited by tradtiger; 09-16-2017, 11:51 PM.

Guess I'll start it off.
    Result leaves plenty of room for improvement: 4-3/16" low and left.

Shot standing on 4th step of ladder, simulating tree stand shot at a distance of 16 yards. Kind of hot, so just wore hunting shirt, skipped face net. Shooting new (to me) 70-lb. Weathers recurve for only 2nd day since getting it from Rick. Arrow is 400 spine Warrior weighing 680 grains, with 400 grains up front (225 grain Tuffhead single bevel with 75-grain adapter, plus 100-grain brass insert) for about 26% FOC.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Time to work on excuses.

--the arrow was 80 grains heavier than i've been shooting
      -- the ladder was wobbly
      -- the bow was new
      -- I was practicing for the deer to duck.

Those are my stories, snd I'm sticking to them.

Oh, and forgot all about the sun in my eyes and the gale force downdrafts.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
        Time to work on excuses.

--the arrow was 80 grains heavier than i've been shooting
        -- the ladder was wobbly
        -- the bow was new
        -- I was practicing for the deer to duck.

Those are my stories, snd I'm sticking to them.

Oh, and forgot all about the sun in my eyes and the gale force downdrafts.

Looks like that arrow buried pretty deep.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
          Looks like that arrow buried pretty deep.

Rick
          Yeah, you could say that. That's a 31" arrow, and it went through the target and into a piece of 3/4" OSB behind it far enough that I had to get out my drill and bore holes on both sides of the broadhead to get it.

Comment

Yeah, you could say that. That's a 31" arrow, and it went through the target and into a piece of 3/4" OSB behind it far enough that I had to get out my drill and bore holes on both sides of the broadhead to get it.

Heh Heh. Told Ya.

Rick

Comment

Shazaam...thats peculiarly familiar and funny.

TradTiger...Awesome challenge. Awesome setup. Good shot. Your gonna put a hurtin on something(s) with that setup.

Comment

Thanks, Briar.

Only semi-valid excuse is on the arrow weight; I just completely forgot that I hadn't shot that heavier arrow (680 vs. 601ish grains) in months. And, and I suppose it could make three or four inches elevation difference at 16 yards. Not quite sure I need the higher weight, but Dr. Ashby says it takes 650 grains to break bone if that is hit. Making up some more carbons with the 100 grain brass inserts (versus aluminum) to practice with and get brain used to the difference.

Comment

I doubt it takes 650 grains.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    I doubt it takes 650 grains.

Maybe not; that's just the number Ashby felt was needed to not only breach bone but to have momentum enough to continue into vitals for a lethal shot.

There are a number of factors involved. His studies -- using thousands of test shots on real animals over a period of three decades or so -- can be found at the Alaska Bowhunter website, I believe.

Comment

I read his stuff. I just know I've shot through the shoulders of many deer and pigs and none of my arrows weigh near that much. Now the speed was higher than a trad bow but I've shot some 175lb plus pigs through the shoulder and into the vitals.

Comment

Shoot em up, y'all!

Comment

I'll try to get a shot in before deadline.
                          I've just been to busy to even think about shooting this week.

Rick

Comment

Well I tried the finger out today. My Rhinhart woodland boar came in. Had to take a 15 yard sitting shot. Rick was right. Really not that much pressure on the ring finger. Wasn't comfortable but it went where I wanted.

Comment

The woodsman three blade I dug out of my tree, after three months being buried, is flying awesome at 15 level ground. Its the leader broadhead now. I slacked on broadhead shooting until TradTiger said GO. Ive shot better first shots since this two days ago. Two finger split LH. Sarrels Dual Shelf Recurve 60" Lynx 54#@28"

Easton Carbon Aftermaths 6mm/ 9/32" dia.
                              340 shaft w/ 145gr arrow weight
                              31.75"x 9.6gpi = 302.4gr =>
                              302.4gr + 75gr insert+ 145gr point + 9gr nock = 531.4gr arrow wt...plus feather weight
                              True weight= 546.6gr
                              L= 31 7/8"L (31.875" w/nock & insert)
                              L/2= 15.9375"
                              A= 21.75"
                              (100x (A - L/2))/L
                              (100x 21.75-15.9375)/31.875= 18.235% FOC

Eso si que es.
                              Vaya con Dios. Vaminos mas alto.
                              Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X