Is this "baiting"??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this "baiting"??

Been thinking about souring some corn, straining the liquid out of it, and using it as a scent lure for hogs...

Would this fall under the baiting rules? No different than using scents for deer that I can see.

Here's the definition from TX Parks/Wildlife:

Bait: Minerals, vegetative material, or any other food substance placed to lure any wildlife resource.

Whaddya think?

No idea if it'd work, but might be worth a shot.

Definetely going to contact the public land office and get their opinion...

Comment

If a GW can pick it up and present it as evidence in court. Then it is baiting. The liquid would not be baiting.

Comment

But you sure are gonna smell nasty if you get it on you.

DJ

Comment

any other food substance placed to lure any wildlife resource.

Wouldn't the rendering from the corn be considered food substance and you are using it to "lure" an animal. I do not think I would want to get caught pouring this onto the ground and then trying to explain to a GW my intentions.

Comment

what about the "non-game" category?? arent feral hogs considered non-game??

Comment

I would think anything you put out, either food or liquid would be baiting

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                what about the "non-game" category?? arent feral hogs considered non-game??
                Hogs are actually considered "Exotic", but from what I see, there isn't a whole lot of difference between exotics and non-game in the law.

Comment

I think its a gray area. I would call a game warden and ask them if you can legally do it.

Comment

If you put it out, would they be able to eat it? What about the acorn scent attractant? I don't think it would be baiting.
                    Dave

Comment

Please correct me if I misunderstood, but since when did it become a question of legality when it comes to hunting hogs? I will admit that it would appear a little misleading by the way it is stated for our county but I believe it it refering to turkey.

White-tailed Deer - Archery Season: September 30 - October 29 (no antlerless permit required except on MLD property); General Season: November 4 - January 7 (November 4 - 26, no antlerless permit required except on Corps of Engineers, Trinity River Authority, LAMPS or MLD property; November 27 - January 7, antlerless by permit only - countywide); Muzzleloader Season: January 13 - 21 (antlerless and spike bucks only, antlerless permit required only on MLD property). Bag limit: 4 (no more than 2 bucks and 2 antlerless, all seasons combined). All dogs prohibited.

Squirrel - October 1 - February 4 and May 1 - 31. Daily bag limit: 10.

Pheasant - November 4 - February 25. Daily bag limit: 3 cocks.

Turkey - Eastern - Spring Season; April 1 - 30. Bag limit: 1 (gobbler only).

SPECIAL REGULATIONS: Shotgun, archery and crossbows only, no hunting over bait; all turkeys must be checked at a check station within 24 hours after they arekilled; and harvested turkeys may be field dressed, but must otherwise remain intact
                      . Click here for Turkey Check Stations
                      Quail - October 28 - February 25. Daily bag limit: 15 quail, Possession Limit: 45.

Dove - (Central Zone) September 1 - October 30 and December 26 - January 4. Daily bag limit: 12 mourning, white-winged, and white-tipped (white fronted) doves in the aggregate to include not more than two whitetips. Possession Limit: Twice the daily bag limit.

Baiting for game animals, nongame animals, and game birds is lawful on private property, except for turkey in certain East Texas counties and migratory game birds statewide.

EXOTIC ANIMALS AND FOWL
                      Exotic animal refers to grass-eating or plant-eating, single-hoofed or cloven-hoofed mammals that are not indigenous or native to Texas and are known as ungulates, including animals from the deer and antelope families that landowners have introduced into this state. Includes, but is not limited to feral hog, Aoudad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck antelope, Nilgai antelope, and Russian boar. Exotic fowl refers to any avian species that is not indigenous to this state, including ratites (emu, ostrich, rhea, cassowary, etc.).
                      There are no state bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic animals or fowl on private property. It is against the law to:
                      Hunt an exotic without a valid hunting license.
                      Hunt an exotic on a public road or right-of-way.
                      Hunt an exotic without the landowner's permission.
                      Possess an exotic or the carcass of an exotic without the owner's consent.
                      Last edited by Firefly; 01-24-2007, 09:38 AM. Reason: Just read

Comment

OK OK Now I saw that you are possibly on Public Land. all bets are off, I have never hunted public land so sorry about all the quotes.

Comment

I suppose we're talking about Texas right? I know the use of attractant type scents is not allowed in NM. Not sure about other states.

Trailboss

Comment

It is bating! You are placing something that is not natural in the woods to attact an animal.

It can also be considered to be a mineral even if it is in the liquid form!

Comment

Check the public land that you hunt. Baiting is legal for hogs on some public land areas, like Granger WMA.
                              Jeff Young

Comment

Working...
                              X