Fall plots !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall plots !

First, I'd like to say that those of us who escaped the wrath of Harvey are extremely lucky to be living life as usual. Aside from having to hunt a place to buy gas, and paying more for it, most of us are little affected. So, I start this thread for those of you who may be interested, and pray for those that lost a little, a lot, or everything.

On my 85 acre home place my son and I planted wheat Saturday in three different plots. He mostly hunts this place, as I have other places to hunt. I do bowhunt here however, and this particular T shaped plot was a pain to disc and drag. I planted a very small amount of wheat for a "nurse" crop and the rest was Grandpa Ray's Inner Sanctum. I did not have my cultipacker here, so I wheel-rolled it with my Ranger. Turned out pretty good, but the proof is in the pudding, so we'll see what happens.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Drycreek3189; 09-03-2017, 04:09 PM.

After rolling the seedbed.
    Attached Files

Comment

Plan to spray ours next weekend. Jealous of that soil. This black clay will grow some good plots, but it isn't easy to plow and sure ain't that pretty after we do.

Comment

That's a good looking spot.

Comment

Looks good

Plan on shredding what is left of spring/summer plot tomorrow and maybe planting next weekend

Comment

Originally posted by gmac View Post
            Plan to spray ours next weekend. Jealous of that soil. This black clay will grow some good plots, but it isn't easy to plow and sure ain't that pretty after we do.
            I have some red dirt in my creek bottom that's like that. If you don't hit it perfectly on moisture you either have hard, dry clods, or gummy wet clods. It grows good crops though !

Originally posted by WBT View Post
            That's a good looking spot.
            Thanks ! I've put a couple down at this spot, and could kill a ton of pigs at night if I wanted to.

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
            Looks good

Plan on shredding what is left of spring/summer plot tomorrow and maybe planting next weekend
            Yep, no rest for the weary ! I'm moving to Good Springs tomorrow to start on my plots there, then back to Mt. Enterprise the last of the week. Then it's on to Groveton if it's dry enough. Only had 20" of rain down there !

Comment

Does that spot get much sunlight? Looks pretty shady but that may just be time of day. Do you have to lime/fertilize much there?

Comment

Originally posted by Mobowhunter View Post
                Does that spot get much sunlight? Looks pretty shady but that may just be time of day. Do you have to lime/fertilize much there?
                It gets a good bit of mid-day to afternoon sun, enough that it won't be a problem. As to lime and fertilizer, this is the first time I've planted anything here, so I bag limed it and fertilized with a S. W. A. G. I'll get a soil test before the next planting, as this was a spur of the moment plot when I saw that I had more seed than needed for another woods plot that I will be planting on my other place. We will know as soon as I get some rain.

Edit: The unknown ph is one reason I chose the product. The other plot I'm planting was limed a couple years ago so it should be ok, but not knowing, I chose something (I hope) will tolerate conditions less than perfect.
                Last edited by Drycreek3189; 09-03-2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Well, I put in a long day today ! I had three plots to disc, plant, and drag today and it took me all day to do it alone. The three plots aren't very close to one another so I had to disc them all, then come back to the truck each time to get my fertilizer and seed for each plot. When that was done, it was dragging them all and load up to come home. I'm getting to old for this chit !
                  Attached Files

Comment

Made it down to my Rusk Co. property Friday and began to prep my six plots for planting. Two I had to disc and planted wheat and oats. Two more I disced, dragged smooth, and planted Granpa Ray's Inner Sanctum. Two more had IC peas that were close to kaput, and I decided to try my first throw and mow in these two plots. I've never grown squat without discing, but I've been reading about TnM a lot, so this is my virgin voyage.

This is a bow hunting plot in the woods. Inner Sanctum planted here.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Drycreek3189; 09-10-2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

These plots are TnM with wheat and oats. I seeded and fertilized and then mowed it as closely as I could. I cultipacked this morning while it was wet with dew. What could it hurt ?
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Drycreek3189; 09-10-2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

This is the same spot with a southern view. The lane is planted in Inner Sanctum. It was WINA clover for several years, but it had about played out so I terminated it with gly a couple weeks ago.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Another TnM on the NE corner of my place. If this works, it's gonna be a time and fuel saver for me. Not to mention the benefit of not stirring the seedbank of weeds and grasses.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X